82 1100G valve cover bolt map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100G valve cover bolt map

took the valve cover off months ago to start valve adjustments, took me awhile to get the tools in and the cover gasket, now I have no idea which bolt lengths go where.

I *can* figure it out by playing with each length in each hole but before I did that I figured it would be worth a try to see if the valve cover bolt config was documented somewhere

Have you looked at the parts fiche? I know mine will show the bolt sizing and if one bolt is different they show it for that hole.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Comment

^^ that's not the valve cover ???

would this not be better

3 .BOLT (6X45)
        01550-0645A (replaces 01517-06455)

4 BOLT
        01550-0640A (replaces 01517-06405)

5 BOLT
        01550-0635A (replaces 01517-06355)

located here

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM. Reason: put in correct image so as not to confuse...

Comment

closer, that's the E, this is the G

But the pointer to alpha-sports parts explosion was the clue I needed and the drawing in the bottom L of the above is exactly what I was after

#3 -06458

#4 -06408

#5 -06358

assuming the parts after the - are size (6mm) and length/pitch maybe? I can lay all the bolts out and organize by size to figure it out. Qty 9 of the #5, 8 of the #4, and 1 #3, should be fairly straight fwd from here

thx all
          Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Waste of time trying to map which bolt goes where.

Lay the cover in place then stick bolts in their holes. Make sure all the bolt heads are sticking up the same amount. Shuffle bolts between holes until this is achieved.

Tighten bolts. Done.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by miked View Post
              assuming the parts after the - are size (6mm) and length/pitch maybe? I can lay all the bolts out and organize by size to figure it out. Qty 9 of the #5, 8 of the #4, and 1 #3, should be fairly straight fwd from here

thx all
              should be as this is how it usually is

so those would be an M6 x 45, 40 and 35 mm in length

and you measure just the bolt shaft, not the head, so from the bottom of the bolt head to the end is the length

it was a good Collaboration....

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                ... so those would be an M6 x 45, 40 and 35 mm in length
                and the 8? thread pitch?

Comment

Don't think so.....and I don't know what it is, for a fine thread it's 1.25 for a coarse it's 1.50

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                    Don't think so.....and I don't know what it is, for a fine thread it's 1.25 for a coarse it's 1.50

No, the 6 mm bolts are 1.0 mm pitch.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Correct...sorry bout that,,,I had the M10 bolts on the brain as those were the ones I spent lots of time trying to find

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X