Tach cable removal help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach cable removal help!

So I have been slowly tearing into my 750, and when I went to remove the tach cable from the motor, the plastic sleeve that attaches at the motor side disintegrated. So now I can't easily remove it. What are my options? Can I just pull the head and unscrew it from the inside? Any help would be great. I'm trying not to screw up anything more that how it was when I purchased the bike.

You should be able to clamp onto the cable with a pair of pliers and rotate it that way. Then make sure you buy a new cable. At least that's what I've done with mine.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You should be turning the knurled metal part at the end of the cable. Not the plastic covering.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
        You should be turning the knurled metal part at the end of the cable. Not the plastic covering.
        The correct answer.

Too much bad advice given these days.
        Careful who you listen to.

Eric

Comment

uncrew the knurled nut that SCREWS INTO the head..its the same operation on the speedo cable at the axle by the way..dont twist that one apart!!!!!!!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Take it to a mechanic who specializes in Tach Removals?

Comment

Working...
            X