Lubricant for gas cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubricant for gas cap

What's a good lubricant that doesn't turn to crap in the presence of gas or mostly gas fumes. I'm trying to lubricant the latch mechanism so it works smooth and like new. I've tried graphite lock lube thinking a dry lube would be best but after a little rain and humid days it went to crap. Right now, after disassembling the cap and cleaning the graphite remains out, I have white lithium grease from a spray can coating every part. It's been a few days and already the "grease" has been made liquid with just the concentrated fumes. I suspect I may have to find another lube if the white lithium doesn't hold up.

And that brings me to you guys, what lube can or does go in these gas cap latch mechanisms? Surely suzuki had to have some sort of lubricant in it from the get go, so surely something must work.

Must be this new gas, I have the same problem on my Harley with the plastic threads on the gas cap. Does it swell the plastic up or what ?

Comment

Marine grease repells moisture and liquids.
      But it tends to eat paint, and doesn't wipe off easily, and it could be risky if it gets into your gas.

What about some general purpose oil?

Comment

Synthetic wheel bearing grease.

Eric

Comment

When it comes to lubrication in industrial plants, most maintenance people strive for consistency – the use of the same products over a long period of time. This generally allows for smooth...

Comment

Spit!.....
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I use a little Triflo now and then...
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I have never used anything, they all work smoothly.
                Maybe it's designed to be used dry?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

From the link I gave it appears that Silicone based lubes are not soluble in gas or water.
                  The new seals are slippery and get dry and hard with age.

You might try and soak them in a rubber restorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                    Must be this new gas, I have the same problem on my Harley with the plastic threads on the gas cap. Does it swell the plastic up or what ?
                    Not really the same other than it being a gas cap issue but AFAIK plastic doesn't swell.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I have never used anything, they all work smoothly.
                    Maybe it's designed to be used dry?
                    Well I've let it get dry on it's own, then I've tried graphite on it, both tries it works like a rusty lock dry.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    From the link I gave it appears that Silicone based lubes are not soluble in gas or water.
                    The new seals are slippery and get dry and hard with age.

You might try and soak them in a rubber restorer.
                    I don't have an issue with seals myself so rubber restore won't be of use although I should get a new seal for the cap. Does silicone not break down in the presence of gasoline?

Next time I need to lube this cap I think I'll see where oil gets me.

Comment

Perhaps it meant silicon.

Comment

I may have misread the lubricant link.
                        Hows about dry slide or some sort of graphite powder?

Comment

Working...
                        X