Direction of air cleaner on 650 GX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direction of air cleaner on 650 GX?

Background: I purchased a '81 650GX which the owner had pods on and had not rejetted. So I have purchased an airbox (forward and rear pieces). It looks as if the rectifier and fuse have been moved around to try and "fill in" the space where the box holding the air filter was.

Question: This may sound like a dumb question, but which direction is the box that holds the air filter supposed to point? My Clymer manual shows to the side, but some other photos I have seen show it opening from under seat. What is the proper direction it should open and intake air?

If it is supposed to open from side where is the rectifier supposed to be?
    Can the rectifier be mounted sideways if necessary? Any photos would be appreciated!

Lots of questions. Trying to get this right.

Don't have a 650 with an airbox, so can't answer that question, but the R/R can be mounted in any position. Just make sure it's properly grounded.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 650G has the opening the airbox opening to the side of the motorcycle, and the RR mounts underneath.

Last edited by BigD_83; 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM. Reason: added picture
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

'BigD 83': Thanks. Perfect photo. Hope some of the previous owner's backet welds come off easy.

Comment

I don't have any pictures of the frame sans airbox, but be careful what you cut off. The original frame welds are a little rough, and you could be forgiven thinking they were done by a PO in some cases.

Off the top of my head, I think there are three Grade 4 mounting bolts on the top of the box, and two on the side. A couple of the fuse box mounts share the mounting point on top
          '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by ty998 View Post
            'BigD 83': Thanks. Perfect photo. Hope some of the previous owner's backet welds come off easy.
            The igniter and R/R were mounted on a plate that attached to bottom of air filter box in stock setup- if you go back to using airbox, this is probably the spot to stick them back on.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for clarifying that point about the mounting plate, Tom.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
              X