removing oil case cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing oil case cover?

I removed the valve cover and made all the necessary measurements so I can order new shims today, and thought "well, while this cover is off, might as well get the others off and all polished".

It's going well so far, but I'm having trouble getting the oil cover off. I've removed all the bolts that go through the cover, as well as the brake lever, but it's still not coming off. Are there any additional bolts I need to be removing for this? Or is it just held on really hard by the gasket? Should I try hitting it off with a rubber mallet at this point?

I must be missing something. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Are you speaking of the clutch cover?
    Both the clutch and stator covers have locator dowels that mate them to the cases as well as the bolts. This is usually why they're tough to get started when taking them off. I have had luck using plastic or delrin "gasket scraper" tools to pry around the edges to get them started. Basically looks like a plastic chisel.

Comment

Ha ha yes. Bad terminology, I'm new. So I guess the locator dowels make it to where they can only be removed by straight outwards pressure?

Cool, well I don't have one of those but that gives me a good idea of why it's happening and how to get it off. Thank you once again Cafekid!

I'll be glad when I have all this polishing and painting done and can put the engine back together and mount the carbs and tank and reconnect the tubing. Seems like everything has been torn apart for forever now.

But, I'm sure this machine will thank me with the rebuilt carbs, valve clearances in spec, new sprockets, and generally being tidy and painted and not looking like ****.

Comment

wood dowel or handle of a small hammer in the fill hole and use it to lever it off the pins.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Got it off today - I actually wedged a utility blade into the gasket and broke it loose that way. Thanks for the tips again.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            wood dowel or handle of a small hammer in the fill hole and use it to lever it off the pins.
            ingenious. Wouldn't have thought of that myself.

Comment

Working...
            X