new chain and sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new chain and sprockets?

Hi guys I need advice on what chain and sprockets I should get for my 80 gs750e. And maybe some could explain the whole conversion thing I have heard talk of. Thanks guys as I am pretty clueless about what I should do in this case.
    Thanks,
    Trevor
    No signature

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    Hi guys I need advice on what chain and sprockets I should get for my 80 gs750e. And maybe some could explain the whole conversion thing I have heard talk of. Thanks guys as I am pretty clueless about what I should do in this case.
    Thanks,
    Trevor
    Dunno, what do you use the bike for?
    Want it quicker?
    Or not?
    The conversion is putting smaller lighter modern 530 chains and sprockets on in place of the big old heavy 630 stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Dunno, what do you use the bike for?
      Want it quicker?
      Or not?
      The conversion is putting smaller lighter modern 530 chains and sprockets on in place of the big old heavy 630 stuff.
      Ah that is what that means. Thank you. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the bike the way it is now. If anything maybe run a little less rpms at highway speeds.
      No signature

Comment

Thanks,
        Trevor
        http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...750ET-1980-MP1 Explanation of the 630-530 conversion.Doing one on the 1000,PM or email me for more info.

Comment

If anything maybe run a little less rpms at highway speeds.
          Usually a poor choice. You will spend more time in the lower gears, it will bog down after each shift unless you over wind it first, and get less gas mileage at cruise. These engines need to spin to work well, chugging them is not very efficient. The stock sprocket ratios are really pretty good, unless you want better acceleration.

If you don't like the sound of a GS at it's proper RPM, watch a motoGP race before you ride.
          Or wear earplugs. Or get a Herdly and chug to your heart's content.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Usually a poor choice. You will spend more time in the lower gears, it will bog down after each shift unless you over wind it first, and get less gas mileage at cruise. These engines need to spin to work well, chugging them is not very efficient. The stock sprocket ratios are really pretty good, unless you want better acceleration.

If you don't like the sound of a GS at it's proper RPM, watch a motoGP race before you ride.
            Or wear earplugs. Or get a Herdly and chug to your heart's content.
            Thanks, yeah I like the way it sounds at high rpms I guess I can't help but wonder if it is easier on my engine if I am not running at higher rpms. But I am learning from you guys that our bikes like that and there is no doubt that my bike runs better when the rpms are up. Anyway maybe I would like better acceleration.
            No signature

Comment

The factory rear ratio is 2.80:1
              I change my 1000's and 1100's to a 2.625:1 or 2.56:1 rear ratio.
              It keeps the rpm's at about 4,000-4,200 at 72-75 mph.
              By keeping the rpm's in the low 4,000 range, you are really only using the pilot and needle jet circuits.
              I get over 45 mpg at 75 mph.
              You can always down-shift to get moving an even bigger hurry if you need to.
              On your 750, you can add one tooth to the front and drop about 400-500 rpm at your favorite cruise speed. (2.625:1 ratio)

Eric

Comment

(straight from z1)

630 15 tooth front becomes a 530 18 tooth sprocket.
                630 35 tooth rear becomes a 530 42 tooth sprocket.

Final Drive Ratio: Divide the rear sprocket tooth count by the front tooth count and you have the final drive ratio. For example: 35 / 15 = 2.33:1

For example; your bike cruises at 60 mph / 4,000 rpm and has a final drive ratio of 2.33:1 - if you want more acceleration, putting a 37 tooth sprocket on the back and leaving 15 on the front changes the ratio to 2.47:1 (37 / 15 = 2.47:1). Divide your cruising RPM by 2.33 and multiply by 2.47. Using the example from above, 4,000 rpm becomes 4,240 rpm at 60 mph.

NOTE: Changing sprocket sizes may effect chain length.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/referen...sprockets.aspx

Comment

I just called Z1, told them what ratio I wanted and they sent all of the parts in a kit for about $130.00

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    The factory rear ratio is 2.80:1
                    I change my 1000's and 1100's to a 2.625:1 or 2.56:1 rear ratio.
                    It keeps the rpm's at about 4,000-4,200 at 72-75 mph.
                    By keeping the rpm's in the low 4,000 range, you are really only using the pilot and needle jet circuits.
                    I get over 45 mpg at 75 mph.
                    You can always down-shift to get moving an even bigger hurry if you need to.
                    On your 750, you can add one tooth to the front and drop about 400-500 rpm at your favorite cruise speed. (2.625:1 ratio)

Eric
                    What?? Oh my...

RPMs. Have. Nothing. To. Do. With. Carb. Circuits.

Throttle position. You can spin 7 grand an be running in the needle. It all depends on how far the throttle is opened...

By the way, the other benifit of a 530 conversion is availability. Few bikes use 630 anymore (if any?) so if you're on a trip and toss a chain or need a master link etc finding a 630 might be tough.
                    However 530 chains are quite common. Even used on lots of farm equipment.
                    We found a 530 master link in the middle of BFE Ky at a John Deere dealership of all places....

Comment

With a STRONG running engine, you barely turn the throttle at all to get to 4,000 in fifth.
                      Thanks.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        With a STRONG running engine, you barely turn the throttle at all to get to 4,000 in fifth.
                        Thanks.

Eric
                        Wtf are you talking about??? It doesn't matter if it's a 100cc single or a 2000cc v twin behemoth, RPMS do NOT dictate what circuit in the carbs is in use!
                        You can be in the pilot with the throttle barely cracked open at red line just to keep it there..
                        So spinning the engine at 4 grand doesnt mean you're just using the pilots. And turning the engine at 7 grand doesn't mean you're using the mains..

Ya know what, screw it....it's not worth the energy..

Comment

Go here:
                          Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

You can try different combos and compare rpm and speed to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                            Go here:
                            Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

You can try different combos and compare rpm and speed to stock.
                            Cool thanks, Gearhead!
                            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

By the way, the other benifit of a 530 conversion is availability. Few bikes use 630 anymore (if any?) so if you're on a trip and toss a chain or need a master link etc finding a 630 might be tough.
                              However 530 chains are quite common. Even used on lots of farm equipment.
                              We found a 530 master link in the middle of BFE Ky at a John Deere dealership of all places....
                              Yes just ask Rob (azr) what happened when he needed a chain in I think it was Nor Cal.Got lucky and found a 630 there,getting a 530 would have been no trouble.Shoting you an email with a good local deal on chains and sprockets.

Comment

Working...
                              X