No announcement yet.

Trying to determine if there is a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the insulators all look pretty dark. Clean your air filter, make sure it isn't over-oiled. Check the voltage at the coils (O/W wire) vs. battery voltage. Determine how many turns the idle screws go in to lightly seated and compare to the recommended initial settings in this thread for your model:

The initial settings are usually a little rich. If it's still rich after all that you'll need to check float heights and confirm the jet sizes.

Comment

Okay how are you riding your bike? You lugging it around town which would darken up the plugs or highway speeds? If it is highway speeds they are just a tad rich though not seriously. Other then that they don't look that bad at all. Your riding style will have an effect on the plugs don't forget.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        Okay how are you riding your bike? You lugging it around town which would darken up the plugs or highway speeds? If it is highway speeds they are just a tad rich though not seriously. Other then that they don't look that bad at all. Your riding style will have an effect on the plugs don't forget.
        I've only put about 50 miles on the bike myself since I got it, and mostly those have been city riding and yes I've been lugging it a bit. I'm getting better about that, but I don't like to scream her down the street in my neighborhood.

At this point I can't be sure how much hwy riding I will do. I'd guess for the next month or two that I'd be mostly riding around in town.

I also talked to the PO and he said changed the plugs last year when he rebuilt the carbs. I can't say how he rode the bike.

Would I be better of buying new plugs at this point or are these good enough for now? I'm guessing I wouldnt see a ton of difference.

Comment

Take it out and run it up to redline a few times, afterwards a few less RPM's will seem normal. Blow out that carbon!
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            Take it out and run it up to redline a few times, afterwards a few less RPM's will seem normal. Blow out that carbon!
            So kinda like my car I need to take her out and run her hard and hot for a bit to clean out the gunk? (That sentence sounds really wrong. LOL)

Comment

Working...
            X