Impact Driver Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact Driver Question

I used my Unicorn 2600 impact driver for the first time today and can not get the bit out... I feel dumb

Any suggestions?

Try hitting the bit straight down on a hard surface.

Comment

Or use a wrench and twist it a bit...Pun there.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r
        try placing tip in place in the screw then turning it in the direction you want it to turn at the same time pushing inwards against the spring till it pops over cam,this sets the correct direction of the driver so when its hit it loosens or tightens.
        Preload the driver before hitting it,pushing inwards and trying to turn in the required direction and make sure your using the largest bit that gives a snug fit in the screwhead.
        What he said, but slower.

Start by just pushing the driver against the screw until the spring bottoms out, straight without a twist. Tap it firmly a few times with the hammer. This sets the
        bit, and also helps to break the friction of the threads, and also cuts into the screw face a little.

Then, keeping pressure inwards and the spring loaded, start turning the driver in the desired direction, just a little. keep hitting harder and harder, but you shouldn't have to turn very hard. Just enough to tell the tool which way you want it to spin. Once it breaks the friction, you should be home free.

Once you get used to it, you should be able to spin out a completely stripped phillips screw in no time.
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I don't think you guys read my question. I know how to use the driver and have several times. I just can't get the current bit OUT of the driver, so that I can change bits. Thanks

Comment

Place the bit by the hex in a bench vice and pull on the larger part of the impact driver like HELL!!!!! Usually there is a wire circular clip that holds the bit in the impact driver and you just have to overcome the tension of that little critter. Also being NEW the bit will be a tight fit in the driver.

Comment

You might be able to pop off the hex-drive adapter (revealing the 1/2" drive) and then poke through the adapter to push out the bit.

HTH

Comment

Mine is so worn that I actually have the opposite problem. I lift the hand piece and the bits just fall out. Ive been threatening a trip to Harbor freight for a compression tester so maybe a replacement impact is in order too.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just drop or throw mine on the floor a couple times.
                  The shock might break it free. Or just smack the front at a sideways angle a few times, with a small hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    Place the bit by the hex in a bench vice and pull on the larger part of the impact driver like HELL!!!!! Usually there is a wire circular clip that holds the bit in the impact driver and you just have to overcome the tension of that little critter. Also being NEW the bit will be a tight fit in the driver.
                    careful though..... dont bash yourself n the face! lol it happpens.

Comment

My friend just gave me a used once driver and it has saved me already...Stator removal (3 screws)....had to hit it so hard I was sure the case was gonna break in two. GOT em, thats after I half stripped them by hand. lifesaver.

Comment

Yeah the thing works awesome! I just want to change bits now haha

Comment

Originally posted by Crage View Post
                          Yeah the thing works awesome! I just want to change bits now haha
                          clamp the bit in a vise and wack the holder with a the claw of a claw hammer or grip the bit close to the holder and use a prybar to pry the holder off of the bit using the vise as the fulcrum.
                          few more options. gotta get crafty on it!

Comment

Working...
                          X