Oil change after standing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change after standing.

Just got new bike (GS1150) and it has been standing for some months. Want to do precautionary oil change and was wondering whether I should make a change to normal oil change procedures.

Conventional wisdom dictates that you run motor, warm oil, drain completely etc etc. I was thinking that as the bike hasn,t run for so long, maybe I would be better off just dumping it all cold as everything has well and truly settled and running it ( assuming I can get the thing to run - which I haven,t tried yet) would spread (any) contaminants evenly around the engine again.

Just thought I would put it out there and see what people (and GS owners ) suggest.

Richard

Good thinking, but let it drain a really long time (overnight) as it will be slow to come out.
    If it's really just some months and not many many years I wouldn't even worry about it.
    That old oil can't be too far gone.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What I do is just dump it cold then pour about a half quart through of new as well and let that drain. I would not start it with the current oil as you have no idea what may or may not be in it (like fuel or water or ?).
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Just drain out the oil you can and don't worry about the rest. There is always residual oil left in the engine during an oil change.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I will dump it and let it drain until next weekend - I'm not going to have a chance to do anything until then anyway.

Richard

Comment

I feel such a rat fink. I thought the worst but I have been shamed by my mistrust. I dropped the oil only to find it virtually transparent.

My PO (bless his cotton socks) had, obviously, been of like mind to myself and been fastidious (anal???) with maintenance.

Still, now I am sure (when I fill with the best oil in the world) that I can sleep easily. So thanks for feedback but 20 lashes for me for my mistrust.

Richard

Comment

That is certainly good news. Speaks for the rest of the maintenance of the bike.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by rich001 View Post
                I feel such a rat fink. I thought the worst but I have been shamed by my mistrust. I dropped the oil only to find it virtually transparent.

My PO (bless his cotton socks) had, obviously, been of like mind to myself and been fastidious (anal???) with maintenance.

Still, now I am sure (when I fill with the best oil in the world) that I can sleep easily. So thanks for feedback but 20 lashes for me for my mistrust.

Richard
                Same with my Triumph. Dumped $50 worth of perfectly good Mobile 1 synthetic into the recycling. I wish I still my old 4bt at least I could have used it as fuel.

Comment

Or you could do like I did with my old Seca 900 that sat for 13 years and break the engine loose by dumping the clutch on a downgrade, cleaning the carbs, and then running the snot out of it for a week at 130mph before draining the chocolate colored oil. I guess you could call it the Mototune method of old bike restoration. Damn bike never did use a drop of oil. Best $500 I ever spent.

Comment

Working...
                  X