ticking noise? engine lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ticking noise? engine lag

just wondering what is a common ticking noise that comes from these bikes? valves? almost over powers the idle sound of the engine? frustrating but love my classic Gs. got 1700 hundred into the bike and still finding isuess. IE leaks and what not. but. worth it. also it seems that at about 4500 to 5500 the engine revs up but bike doesnt seem to accel accordingly. any suggestions on either prob?

Have you checked valve clearance? how about camshaft to crank timing? maybe your cam chain tensioner is locked, so it can't take up chain slack. POs might have messed up, so always best to check.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

More revs without more acceleration is a slipping clutch. New (stock) clutch springs are dirt cheap, and fix the issue for a lot of people.

I'm not sure about the ticking noise. A properly adjusted 8 valve GS's valves sound something like a sewing machine, but not louder than the exhaust. Beyond that, it's hard to diagnose without hearing it. Any chance you can post a recording of some kind? Uploada video to YouTube so we can ogle your bike as well?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Exhaust leaks tick a lot. I know mine does. Poorly adjusted valves also make a bit of noise, and I had quite a top end rattle before I realized that the PO had left the cam chain tensioner in the service position so that it wasn't doing any tensioning... One of the case protectors was hitting the exhaust on my GS when I got it because it was bent, which sounded like an engine rattle. Cams are also known to walk back and forth a bit on some bikes, which makes a knocking noise.

Comment

Working...
        X