Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain tensioner

hey,

my manual is a bit vague re: setting up the cam chain tennsion.

can somone explain it.

i'm used to camless engines

It's automatic, it sets the tension as you ride. All you have to do is install it on the engine. That's what the setscrew bit is about. Push the plunger all the way in, set the setscrew to keep it there. Install the tensioner on the engine, tighten the bolts. Release the setscrew 1/4 turn or so to allow the springs inside to work, the plunger slides forward to push the tensioner arm into the chain. The locknut is only to keep the setscrew from falling out at this point.

One it's in place you don't have to touch it until it leaks too much or wears out.

Racers that always use uber high RPMs like to replace them with manual tensioners, but I've never had one fail, they just get leaky after thirty years or so.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just to add to Toms explanation..You dont reset the screw against the pushrod once you release it onto the chain. You keep it loose that 1/4 turn and just tighten up the jam nut. If you touch the setscrew to the pushrod you defeat the floating action of the tensioner. You may have already assumed that but i thought i would add.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. paulkdx220,

How about a few links to some cam chain tensioner information?

From Mr. bwringer: Replace seals in cam chain tensioner

Collected on my little website:

Cam Chain Tensioner Repair
        Reset Cam Chain Tensioner

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

THIRTY YEARS!!!!!! Tarnation, they don't make 'em like they used to. Why, in my day, we could use ........our.........position thingy...... for..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Be sure to follow the procedure for checking the operation of the cam chain tensioner after you install it to prevent any grief. make sure it operates freely before installing. I just replaced the leaking o-ring ($1.00US) on the set screw on my 82 GS750E and it was rather simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwanaman View Post
              Be sure to follow the procedure for checking the operation of the cam chain tensioner after you install it to prevent any grief. make sure it operates freely before installing. I just replaced the leaking o-ring ($1.00US) on the set screw on my 82 GS750E and it was rather simple.
              Yes, , but you meant check its free operation, BEFORE you install it, so you understand the function of lock screw and lock nut. It's so simple, folks get confused!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X