What size is my chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size is my chain?

78' GS750E, but... The chain looks huge. It looks like a 530, but I can't be sure. There's no markings on the chain.

48 links, the chain width at widest point is 24mm, and the width of the link is 36mm.

I don't know if someone did a 530 conversion, or if it's a stock 520.

Any insight?

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
    78' GS750E, but... The chain looks huge. It looks like a 530, but I can't be sure. There's no markings on the chain.

48 links, the chain width at widest point is 24mm, and the width of the link is 36mm.

I don't know if someone did a 530 conversion, or if it's a stock 520.

Any insight?
    Stock wasn't 520. Stock was 630. 530 would be fine. 520 wouldn't be a good idea. 630 is hard to find even in a bike shop should you need a replacement or a master link on a long trip. 530 is common as dirt, and used on many things besides motorcycles. We found a 530 master at a John Deere dealership once on a trip when we needed one...

Comment

Also, usually aftermarket sprockets (rear especially) will be stamped with chain type and tooth count. Check that. If there are no markings, check for a master link. If there is no master link, it's likely the stock 630 chain. They came from the factory with "endless" chains, meaning there was no master link. The chain was installed with the swingarm disassembled from the bike. Which also means in order to remove such a chain, the swingarm must be pulled or you must do what I do in such an instance and cut it in half with an angle grinder.

By the way, chains and sprockets are nothin to muck around with. If its rusty, or of unknown age, replace it AND the sprockets. (they should always be replaced as a set, otherwise you'll ruin a new chain on old sprockets or the reverse, really fast) A failing chain isn't only a PITA if it leaves you stranded, it can also be very very dangerous.

Comment

Stock chain was a 630 OSO Takasago 96 links. See Section 2 "Specifications" here's the service manual, takes a little time to download.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

If the chain is big and loud, it's probably a 630...they were monsters! lol

There's a noticeable size/weight difference with a 530.
          I never knew my chain was responsible for so much noise, and power loss, until I did a 530 conversion!

Comment

Okay... thanks guys!

Sprocket says 41-630... so I guess that answers the question. The sprockets look brand-new... so I wasn't worried about those, but the chain is a rusty O-ring deal, with a clip-on master link... no markings anywhere on the chain.

So... should I simply just buy a 530 kit? New sprockets and chain? My guess is a 530 is much too small to run on a 630 sprocket, no?

Yes, it was 96 links... I was counting the 8's, not the rollers.

Comment

If the sprockets look new, just buy a new 630 chain.
              Not as hard to find as is made out to be on this site.
              Get a 16T C/S sprocket while you are at it for those longer distance rides.

Eric

Comment

The kit I just ordered has a 17t front and a 42 rear. Pretty close to stock, but slightly higher. I think stock is 14/41, or 15/41.

They're JT sprockets, which I've had good luck with in the past. And the price of the whole kit (with an O-ring chain) was that of a new chain itself. So, I can't complain.

More tinkering!

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  If the sprockets look new, just buy a new 630 chain.
                  Not as hard to find as is made out to be on this site.
                  Get a 16T C/S sprocket while you are at it for those longer distance rides.

Eric
                  Absolutely terrible advice.

Buy all new. You should never mix unless you like dumping money on chains or sprockets every five thousand miles or less. Sprockets and chains wear as a set. You put a new chain on worn sprockets, it will wear the chain out quickly. To truly inspect sprockets for wear they need to be removed, checked for hooked, twisted or tall teeth.

Besides that unless you buy a cheap roller chain, 630 is generally more expensive, and nearly obsolete.

An entire 530 conversion from Z1enterprises will likely cost you as much or less than a decent 630 chain.

But, it's your bike. Do as you wish. Properly maintained modern oring chains will last tens of thousands of miles...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Absolutely terrible advice.

Buy all new. You should never mix unless you like dumping money on chains or sprockets every five thousand miles or less. Sprockets and chains wear as a set. You put a new chain on worn sprockets, it will wear the chain out quickly. To truly inspect sprockets for wear they need to be removed, checked for hooked, twisted or tall teeth.

Besides that unless you buy a cheap roller chain, 630 is generally more expensive, and nearly obsolete.

An entire 530 conversion from Z1enterprises will likely cost you as much or less than a decent 630 chain.

But, it's your bike. Do as you wish. Properly maintained modern oring chains will last tens of thousands of miles...

That's exactly what I did... thanks!

The front and rear sprockets I had (630) look brand new... no scoring, not even any shark-fining or widening of the teeth... so they could've been a new set 15-20 years ago and then just never ridden much. The chain, on the other hand... didn't stand the test-of-time as well. O-rings falling out, seized links, etc...

So I have no issue putting a new 630 chain on... but like you said.. the COST is what killed me. It was cheaper to buy the set for $120 bucks, than spend $140 on a chain alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X