Need some assistance, 79 gs425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some assistance, 79 gs425

I picked up a 1979 gs425E about 2 weeks ago. The previous owner had done a lot of work to bring it back to life and get it running, so when I bought it it was running but not well. I had the carbs cleaned and synched and the bike ran perfectly. I was loving it! put over 200 miles on the bike and it was still running absolutely perfect. I did a handlebar swap and wrapped the exhaust. It was still running perfect and I had put another 50 miles on it and then all of a sudden as I was driving down the road the bike would bog down whenever I gave it gas, then when I went to turn into a parking lot it stalled. I couldnt get it started there so I walked it home (luckily I was almost home when it stalled). At home I let it sit for a few hours before working on it. Checked spark plugs first and they looked like the engine was running rich, so I checked all components of air box. Everything was clean and in good condition. From there I started adjusting the air screws. With air screws backed out a bit I could get it to start but I can not get it to run. Once started if I give it full throttle it will struggle through low rpms and then smoothly rise to red line. If I give it just a little gas it will stall. I need some guidance on where to go next. Is there a fuel adjustment screw that I should be adjusting? Anyone experienced anything like this in the past? Please post up any advice you think would be helpful. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am lost at this point and would rather not have to take it to a shop again. Thank you.

If it was running perfectly before, nothing was out of adjustment, something failed. Could be the petcock screen got plugged with rust from the tank, could be the gas tank vent is plugged, could be you are low on gas and need to go to reserve. Could be something else, but adjustment screws don't just suddenly move.
    Now after you find the problem, you will need to learn to reset those adjustments you messed with correctly...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
    X