gs gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs gas tank

--I have an '83 gas tank with some rust effect inside------are the Kreme coat kits advisable to use?------thought of at least using Evaporust---and just leaving it. Any thoughts appreciated.

kreeme coating a tank.....

hi guys i did my old rusty 1980 gs1000e tank that had been welded etc,,,, and ended up with pin holes every where ,,so in the hot sun i cleaned that inside of the tank put a dryer down too it and dried the inside completely ... i used the 3 bottle set up in it .. and and couple of weeks later when i put some fuel in it whe kreeme set up was staring to float around inside the tank ,,,anyway now i,ve kept it just incase i decide to make a chopper i would like info from locations spots to have a nice tank made for a chopper if i go in that direction regards oldgrumpy

Comment

I would use POR-15 or caswell.(epoxy)

Kreem has a pretty bad reputation, it seems.
      If they sell it at my local bike shop, it's probably junk, lol.

Comment

I had good results with Caswell. Good for stopping pin-hole leaks too.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Used the POR-15 kit and I am very satisfied with it. The inside felt like glass when I was done.

Comment

Hi,

How bad is your rust?

Tank Cleaning: with electrolysis

Tank Cleaning: with Evapo-Rust

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Kreem is krap.

Use POR15 or a Caswell's kit.

I've heard good things about some stuff called Red-Kote, but I've never used it or seen it used personally.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ive never had any problems with Kreem. The 77 750 has had it in for almost 4 years and not so much as 1 problem so far.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Kreem is not as tough as the Por-15 sealer. Chemical stripper softens Kreem to a much greater extent. I know this after stripping out two failed Kreem liners, and one poor Por-15 application what was my fault.

The key thing to lining a tank properly is the rust should be removed first, which will take several days of soaking, turning, shaking (with abrasive particles in the tank) etc. The sealer can trap a certain amount of rust under the liner, but only a small amount contrary to what they might suggest in the application instructions.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Plus one on the Kreme, spent a day removing that junk from a tank. The whole coating was loose inside the tank, but still in one piece. Never again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

How bad is your rust?

Tank Cleaning: with electrolysis

Tank Cleaning: with Evapo-Rust

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      BassCliff,
                      Did you ever hear of tank cleaning with toilet bowl cleaner? No, I'm not joking.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                      X