Led lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led lights

anyone know what type of resistors to run leds on front indicator lights as to not burn the led's out?

Hi,

Sometimes you will want to use resistors with the LED lights because the LEDs by themselves will not pull enough current to activate the stock flasher unit.

You can replace the stock flasher unit with a cheap off-the-shelf part from the auto parts store. Then you can use pretty much use any 1156/1157 LED replacement bulb. If you have self-canceling turn signals, this modification will probably disable that feature.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by cid View Post
      anyone know what type of resistors to run leds on front indicator lights as to not burn the led's out?
      Aren't these lights marked with voltage requirements? or is this a doityourself project.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There was no voltage Specifications. I know about the new flasher, they all flash fine , but it seems the new LEDs are starting to burn out. I need a resistor but I'm not sur how much of a resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by cid View Post
          There was no voltage Specifications. I know about the new flasher, they all flash fine , but it seems the new LEDs are starting to burn out. I need a resistor but I'm not sur how much of a resistor.
          Typically, these lights have individual LED s connected in series , so no more than about 3 volts appears across any one LED. Connect 4 in series and they would survive 12 volts , etc. Why do you think they are "starting to burn out"? do you see dead spots in lights?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

I have 1156/1157 LED bulbs in all my turn signals and brake light. I do not use resistors. They've been working fine going on a year now. What kind of LED bulbs are you using?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X