Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A gift from P.O...."Permatex"

Iphone phtos 047.jpg

I've been having a helluva time scraping permatex off valve cover. I didnt realize this at the time I bought the bike.

I've been reading some old threads and discovered the two o-rings under the front valve cover bolts are the cause of a lot of leaks. I pulled these two out to discover grime and permatex under the o-rings.

How much damage could that cause?

I know that a valve adjustment will need to be done.

What else should I be looking for?

IMG_0149[1].jpg

These are the bolts I'm speaking of.

On the top there is a new o-ring installed the bottom you see the o-ring has been worn out for quite some time and probally why P.O. placed permatex all over the gasket.

Comment

Man that is awful. Take your time and be patient getting that stuff off. Don't want to gouge the surface.

I don't think that using the permatex would cause any damage by itself unless it was applied so heavily that some would have been able to glob up and fall off inside the engine and block an oil passage.

Comment

Does anyone know what is directly under these bolts? There was an a awful lot of grime in there.

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol

Comment

Thanks I'll try that

Comment

one thing to watch out for is that teh valve cover gasket can no be too thinch as the tach gear will not properly mesh. Taht will cause the tach gear on the exhaust cam to get worn out and no tacky. Requires changing the exhaust cam.
              When reinstalling make sure the gears are meshed before tightening down the cover. I usually bump the starter to make sure the end of the drive gear rotates then tighten down.

Comment

Working...
              X