Multi meter recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi meter recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, user friendly multi meter? Electrical issues are not my thing, so I need all the help I can get

They all are very similar, and in the lower price range have very similar functions, and are easy to use

Check out Radio Shack if you have one close by they have this one on sale $14.99

Welcome to RadioShack's official website. Search and shop for electronics, gaming devices, powerbanks, audio products and business traveling gear.

Comment

I'm old school I guess, but I like the analog meters, I just prefer seeing the needle move rather than reading numbers off a LCD screen.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        I'm old school I guess, but I like the analog meters, I just prefer seeing the needle move rather than reading numbers off a LCD screen.
        There is something to this, especially when you are measuring a voltage or something which is jumping around all over the place... CAn you still byuy analog ones without spending an arm and a leg?

Digital ones are cheap and work well enough.

The one for six bucks or so at HF works OK, the red one for $2 is a piece of crap, it failed right away.
        Auto parts store, hardware store, whatever has some that will work.
        Any cheap one is good enough for old bike use, you don't need any fancy features or exceptional accuracy.

I have a really expensive one and a bunch of cheapos laying around. I always use whichever one I find first.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          I've owned a Simpson 260 for years and years....still the best one out there.

Comment

I have a Fluke digital, but I'm assuming that's out of your price range.

Comment

Look for ones that have right-angled reinforced connector/leads on the meter end-those are much more durable in the average usage pattern, storage, etc
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

You can get a fluke for around $120. It's a worthy investment.

Lowes also sells Greenline ones for around $40, which are nice. Ideal is also a good cheap brand.

Comment

Sometimes the needle is better, sometimes the digital is what you need. Digital works best 99% of the time. Any of the $10-$20 meters will give you everything a GS mechanic needs...

The freebies from Harbor Freight work fine -- look for coupons in the back of your motorcycle mags.

If you're going to spend actual money, a decent auto-ranging meter (with range lock) is a bit more convenient. Some also have useful magnets, clips, and lighted displays that are handy at times.

I like to put an alligator clip on the negative wire, since I don't have three hands to juggle two leads plus the meter.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Alligator clips are a good thing. You "normally" have to buy them separately, but they are a good thing to have. I have and use both.
                    And I got rid of my analog meter decades ago and do not miss it, but that is just me.
                    Auto-range is good for some, especially those who do not know what they are doing. I seldom use it, although it is available on my meters.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                      UNtil you hook it up the wrong way or in too low of a voltage scale...POOF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                        One of these days I'll have to get myself another 260 again.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                          You can get a fluke for around $120. It's a worthy investment.

Lowes also sells Greenline ones for around $40, which are nice. Ideal is also a good cheap brand.
                          Sometimes I wonder why they came up with the name "Fluke?"
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

It's the guy's name, widely known for quality meters.

Comment

The Harbor Fright yellow cheap one is fine. I had to re-solder the leads, but otherwise it has been good.

Some nice features to look for are continuity alarm (very nice to have), high current DC (20amps), and light up display.

There are electronic stores and swap-meets here in CA that are good sources, maybe there are similar places in CT.

Comment

Working...
                              X