Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for mating airbox elements?

Hey All,

I am in process of rebuilding the air management system for my '81 GS650G since the PO had put pods on it without rejetting.

I am having a very difficult time mating the rear airbox piece which holds the filter to the front airbox piece which holds the boots. It does fit, which I validated when both pieces were not mounted on bike, but it was very tight. Now that I have the rear airbox mounted on bike, my attempts to get the rubber seal of the front piece to slide over the back piece has been frustrating. I have tried using WD-40 as a lubricant.

Any ideas from someone who has rebuilt this part of a bike?

I have no experience with the 650G, but on the bikes that I do have I have always installed the air filter box into the airbox after the airbox was in place and not the other way around, which to me would make it more difficult.
    That rubber seal, which we refer to as a snorkel, is in place on the airbox when I attach the air filter box to it.
    That rubber seal (Part number 13801-34200, Tube Joint, no. 9 on the fiche) is no longer available by the way. A little grease should help ease the assembly. Hope this helps.
    Look at the parts fiche here for reference.
    Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Ah. That is a good idea. I didn't think about taking the 'snorkel'/seal off and placing it on rear box first. I will try that out. Thanks

Comment

Heat gun or hair dryer to soften the seal.

Eric

Comment

Working...
        X