1982 gs650g - breather cover mesh material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs650g - breather cover mesh material

I've got an 1982 gs650g. This is my first bike, so I'm learning how to both wrench and ride with it. I've addressed the carbs already, and started to take a look at the valve clearances today. I noticed that the breather cover was missing the innards, or steel wool like mesh material. Since I was following basscliff's notes, I thought I was missing this piece, so I looked at the parts fiche for my bike to order the material and noticed that it was not present in the parts fiche. Can any fellow gs650 owner verify that the mesh/steel wool material should not be there?

Thanks,
    Daniel

I have no reason to believe that a PO removed anything from the breather cover on my 650G, and all there is in mine is a papery gasket.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hi,

I think Mr. BigD_83 is correct. The 650G parts fiche does not show any "oil separator" parts (11187-45000 and 11186-45000). Those same part numbers are shown to be used in several other bikes (77-79 400, 425, 550, 750, 1000) but not the 650G.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's an omission on the parts fish. It is meant to stop the oil mist from going into the air box. Allows it to drain back into the engine. You can make something. Buy a small filter for a kitchen stove vent or ?? and cut to size or order the suzuki part

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          I have no reason to believe that a PO removed anything from the breather cover on my 650G, and all there is in mine is a papery gasket.
          You're a trusting soul- it was greasy and he chucked it ! Some hardware stores sell stainless steel wool pads- or do what SqDancerLynn said.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X