Correctly measuring handlebar "rise" and "pullback"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correctly measuring handlebar "rise" and "pullback"

I'm looking for some new bars with a bit more "rise" and "pullback" but I'm getting a bit wrapped around the bar-end as to how to correctly measure them. Obviously, the "rise" and "pullback" can be varied by loosing the triple clamp mount and rotating the bars either up or down. But my question is how do you correctly measure "rise" and "pullback"?

As I'm shopping online for bars, I'm reading a lot of different values but I can't really visualize what they will do for me cause I just don't have a firm grasp on how to correctly measure those two key dimensions. Anyone got the poop on how to do so, or could direct me to a good reference that does? Thanks!

As was explained to me, if I remember this correctly, you'll measure from a straight line from the bottom of the bars to where they turn out to the handles for the rise (kinda hard to explain, I know). Pull back will be extending a straight line from the front of the bars outward and then measuring the distance from that to the grips.

Easier if I could show you
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

scroll to the bottom

Problem is I don't think all manufacturers measure the same way. Also if the grip/control portion of the bar is angled upwards, the end may yield a fairly high rise while the space where you actually rest your hand may be lower.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...x?SiteID=SLI|7 8 Handlebars&W

The Daytona bar in the top link is listed with a higher rise than the LTD in the 2nd link. Seems unlikely your hands would actually be sitting higher on the Daytonas.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
        X