Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's that sticker thing on my frame?

Hey guys/gals,
    painted my frame and taped a sticker that had bike info on it. It had the weight, tire info and vin#. When I took the tape off it pulled that sticker apart. Any Idea if this is something that has to be there for inspection or other legality. I am New York state if that matters. Is it replaceable?

Thanks
    Gerb

Mine doesn't have it and I haven't had an issue yet. Course, that doesn't mean New York won't but I wouldn't worry too hard.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As long as the VIN is stamped in the frame you should have no problems.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The VIN is stamped in the steering head. A bit hard to see maybe.
        You misht ask vehicle inspection place aout the sticker or a policeperson.

Comment

yes, i found the vin on the steering head. Good idea about asking inspection place. Thanks for removing one more worry about this project.

Gerb

Comment

yeah when I painted my frame i taped over the sticker to "preserve" it. now the frame looks great and that half deteriorated sticker looks like butt. I should have just sanded it off. the stamped vin # is all that matters. imo , nothing to worry about.

Comment

I had a really nice sticker on the head of my GS1000 frame, and after owning it only a short while I noticed it was all bunched up, apparently by the clutch cable. Seems to be not too thin aluminum tape with silkscreen and stamped info. I was bummed, I painstakingly straightened and flattened it out, and gorilla glued underneath as much as I could. It's all there, but it doesn't look as good as it used to.
              I guess I just like all those stock stickers you can't get anymore, like the two on the chainguard, the one on the clutch cover, and the one on the airbox.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

My sticker was beat up too and there was no saving it. So I took it off and painted. I Even covered with painters tape but it just peeled the foil part off.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  I had a really nice sticker on the head of my GS1000 frame, and after owning it only a short while I noticed it was all bunched up, apparently by the clutch cable. Seems to be not too thin aluminum tape with silkscreen and stamped info. I was bummed, I painstakingly straightened and flattened it out, and gorilla glued underneath as much as I could. It's all there, but it doesn't look as good as it used to.
                  I guess I just like all those stock stickers you can't get anymore, like the two on the chainguard, the one on the clutch cover, and the one on the airbox.
                  are you referring to any of these

Comment

No, I don't see the miscellneous/warning decals for the GS1000.
                    One is basically a data plate decal that goes around the head of the frame, it's a once each made for every bike that has the VIN on it, date made stamp as well as a host of other info. Two are on the chain guard about tire pressure and chain,
                    one is on the airbox for the routing of the battery drain (I copied one from the owners manual and used that under some clear packaging tape) and the last is the oil quantity thats on the upper right clutch cover. Thanks for trying though. I did see some fork and other decals for the 80 GS1100E. Luckily I got all my decals for both bikes, if you include the one I made for the air box, and the "S" suzuki decal for the GS1100E tail piece which I had made at some graphics place for $5.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

This one would have been close, but not exactly....

GS1100E 1980
                      Warning Decal Set (7 pcs.)
                      $26 US
                      #SGS-80-1100-WS

1 - Tire Warning
                      1 - Battery Caution
                      1 - Drive Chain Caution
                      1 - Caution Air Suspension
                      1 - Emission Control Info

2 - Chain Wear
                      but the data plate decal, I don't think you can get it anymore, not sure if anyone would or could reproduce that one, as it's not generic in the sense it has the date and vin stamped into it ?

I just peeled mine off as it was damaged anyways, and cleaned up the area and painted....

Comment

Working...
                      X