77/78 750 airbox cover seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77/78 750 airbox cover seals

I notice on the parts fiche they show the covers but not the rubber seals..anyone have a part number for them and/or a source for them???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Self-adhesive foam weather stripping from the nearest hardware store or home center...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah I know that..I was asking because capnjim was asking me via PM about them..I was looking for info for him basically. I tried to explain this to him but he really doesnt understand what i was trying to tell him. I was trying to explain why the OEM seals had the tops blocked off and that the seals were a one piece unit from the factory and all that. If i had some pictures of the OEM ones I would just send him pics of the fronts and backs so he can understand that weather strip goes on every edge of the airbox and that he has to put the weatherstrip in the cover so it seals all the seams when you put the covers on.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

From what I've been able to find out, these seals were originally glued to the airbox itself. They were only ever available as part of a new airbox. They never had a part number someone could order.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Someone ought to figure out how to get a thousand or so of them made in India or someplace.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey chuck..I found this picture from another thread. I basically have only one side that has the top half only. The other side had maybe half of the top part and that's it. Can I just use plastic to cover the other side?
            I'll use the weather stripping on the lower part, as well as inside the chrome cover and on top of the filter.
            I'll post a few pics here when I get home so others can chime in.
            Thanks for all the help...greatly appreciated. I'm determined to get the bike running well. I ordered my O-rings and intake seals. I'm going to start with the carbs and air before I even look at the electrical.
            I'm tempted to call the previous owner and get a partial refund. 2K seems like way too much to pay for a bike that needs work. He told me it runs perfectly and just needs a good run or two to "clean it out"
            Makes me wonder why the top part even has a hole.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Someone ought to figure out how to get a thousand or so of them made in India or someplace.
              I know a guy...in China, maybe I could make a few expensive phone calls?

Comment

Here's what mine looked like and what I did....its sealed up tight now!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  I know a guy...in China, maybe I could make a few expensive phone calls?
                  Use Skype.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Jim...thats what is suggested to do if you dont have the full rubber OEM seals..and to whoever posted that they were glued to the covers..Thats incorrect because to get them back on the airbox , the airbox edges has to fit in to the slots in the seals. You would never be able to do this efficiently if they were glued in. they may have came with the new side covers when the covers were still available though which would explain no part number for them..just the covers.

Comment

Chuck I have had to carefully pry them off as they were in fact glued onto the box from the factory.
                      I am pretty certain that I could find some fine examples showing the glue that the factory used as I just pried a pair off a couple of weeks ago.

Eric

Comment

Ive taken many covers off many boxes and not so much as one was EVER glued on or showed signs of glue on a cover or a seal. Im not saying yours wasnt glued on but i would be skeptical as to WHO glued it on. In any case, Jim would do well if he could find a decent set for his box. They do come up from time to time on Fleabay and in the for sale section. Maybe you could make a sale ?????
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X