Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing my "L" rear fender with a "g" fender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing my "L" rear fender with a "g" fender?

I have a 1980 gs1000L. The previous ownder replaced the original chrome rear fender with one from a 550/750 L. I don't care for the chrome rear fender anyway and I was wondering if I could put the rear "bill" fender from a 1980 gs1000g onto my bike? Thanks guys.

Sure you can. The L love the bite of the sawzall.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bill from a 1980 "g" wont just bolt right on? Are there any other differences the L has compared to other gs'? Thanks a lot for the answer. This is my first bike and I appreciate the help.

Comment

The frame is different. Even if the rear fender and tail from a G does bolt up (not sure), it won't line up with the seat. You might end up with a gap, or have to trim it. It will cover up the seat lock. And it will look strange because the design of the tail is not styled the same as the L tank and side covers. The easiest way to change an L into a G or E is to sell it and buy a G or E.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Been thru this with my gs750L and did a quick parts number comparison between models with basscliffs partlists and found the frames are the same with the main diff being front end ,rearwheel ,guard, seat sidecovers and tank.Even the top triple clamp is the same and suspect though diff part number yhe nlower only differs by it steering stop arrangement to allow for std bigger tank.
          The L's are only a limited edition of a std gs so they are not going to change anything they do not have to,check your frame # I'll bet ,like my gs, there is no indication of it being an L and is just a stock frame so all bits are interchangeable.
          I personally do not find the style too objectionable, apart from some a10 bars have left mine relatively stock and being a short arse have found it to be surprisingly comfy to ride specially in traffic.One good thing about Ls is they are really cheap vs std models so you can afford to spend money and time changing to suit your tastes

Comment

I was going to use an L rear fender on one of my early E models to match the chrome front fender to be unique and it just wasn't
            going to be worth it as the seat would have to be altered to fill the missing gap in the back and still wouldn't look right to me.
            And I had all of the parts to make it work on hand.
            Except for the seat modifications, of course.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
              Been thru this with my gs750L and did a quick parts number comparison between models with basscliffs partlists and found the frames are the same with the main diff being front end ,rearwheel ,guard, seat sidecovers and tank.Even the top triple clamp is the same and suspect though diff part number yhe nlower only differs by it steering stop arrangement to allow for std bigger tank.
              The top clamp is the same compared to what model?

This is certainly not true for GS1000L vs GS1000E or G..
              GS1000L on top.. GS1000E on bottom (1980 G uses the same as the E)

The L trees have a inch less offset to make up for the leading axle forks.

As for the frame.. The 79 GS1000L frame has relocated front and rear tank mounts. different tabs for the side covers, different set of seat mount brackets and hinge design that the E or G models.

I guess you can turn an L into an E or g but it'll take a welder to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JSK91 View Post
                I have a 1980 gs1000L. The previous ownder replaced the original chrome rear fender with one from a 550/750 L. I don't care for the chrome rear fender anyway and I was wondering if I could put the rear "bill" fender from a 1980 gs1000g onto my bike? Thanks guys.

I'm parting an 1980 850L. I still have the rear fender if you need it.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                X