leaking gas/mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking gas/mileage

Two things. The other day I filled my gas tank up and when I got home I realized that when it was in neutral one of the hoses dangling off the back of the carbs was leaking, and occasionally spurting, gas. Well it would do that while it warmed up but stopped once it was warmed up. It no longer does it at all. I did some research and I think a jet may have been stuck open and has since unstuck. What do you think?

Also, I seem to get really godforsaken terrible disgusting gas mileage. Maybe they're related? Or it's how I ride? Or a mechanical thing? I usually shift up once I'm holding at about 4500rpm. Is that high? Low? I don't shoot off like a rocket but I accelerate faster than my uncle and cousin on their Harley's if that matters.

Gas spilling out the overflow tube adds no miles to your bike, so YMMV.

Pull your carbs and clean them properly (dip and strip). Check your floats and needle valves/seats to see if they are sticking. Then set your float height to spec.

Put your bike model, year, etc. in your signature, so we can help you in more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by DevanJones View Post
      I don't shoot off like a rocket but I accelerate faster than my uncle and cousin on their Harley's if that matters.
      Shoot off like a rocket from now on. The Harely guys like that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        Gas spilling out the overflow tube adds no miles to your bike, so YMMV.

Pull your carbs and clean them properly (dip and strip). Check your floats and needle valves/seats to see if they are sticking. Then set your float height to spec.

Put your bike model, year, etc. in your signature, so we can help you in more detail.
        There wasn't THAT much gas spilling out.

And I know I need to clean the carbs, I just don't have time between work and school right now.

Bike is now in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Shoot off like a rocket from now on. The Harely guys like that.
          Sounds like good advice.

Comment

Find the time to clean them. It will take you all of four days at most to do them and in the process you can also check your valves and do all the other required maintenance your bike needs.

I know it's hard to get good sunny days up there so you want to take advantage of them when they come but trust me, failing to do the maintenance now will cost you even more time later.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Find the time to clean them. It will take you all of four days at most to do them and in the process you can also check your valves and do all the other required maintenance your bike needs.

I know it's hard to get good sunny days up there so you want to take advantage of them when they come but trust me, failing to do the maintenance now will cost you even more time later.
              Yeah I know. Once June hits I graduate and then I'll have plenty of time so I'm gonna wait till then.

Comment

Working...
              X