GS850GL Engine Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GL Engine Guards

I was scrounging at the local Bone Yard and found an engine guard that fit the Left side of my 80 GS850GL

I've seen a couple of 1980-81 850G engine guards on ebay.... Will the G guards fit the L? I've searched but can't find a definitive answer.

Thanks for your help
    sigpic

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
    I was scrounging at the local Bone Yard and found an engine guard that fit the Left side of my 80 GS850GL

I've seen a couple of 1980-81 850G engine guards on ebay.... Will the G guards fit the L? I've searched but can't find a definitive answer.

Thanks for your help
    Yes. The engine mount points are identical on all 850 engines.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Yes. The engine mount points are identical on all 850 engines.

This one of the difficulties that I'm having in my research. I'm talking about engine guards/case guards or I've even seen them referred to as crash bars. Are you saying that the engine guards mount to the same points on the frame as the engine? This is not what I'm seeing on my bike.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
        This one of the difficulties that I'm having in my research. I'm talking about engine guards/case guards or I've even seen them referred to as crash bars. Are you saying that the engine guards mount to the same points on the frame as the engine? This is not what I'm seeing on my bike.
        The ones I'm familiar with use the engine mounts. These are sometimes referred to as "three point" mounting.

You can still get them new:

These fit all the 850, 1000, and 1100 shafties -, G, GL, and GK -- the engine mount points are the same on all the 850+ shaft drive bikes. In fact, the engines can be swapped.

There's also a crashbar style that's more like a big oval or trapezoid -- it mounts to one of the front engine mounts and also clamps to the frame further up. And again, this area of the frame is identical on all 850 and larger shafties (although you might run into clearance issues with the fairing mounts on a GK, or a bike with an aftermarket fairing).

Nowadays, you see this style of crash bar most often on cruisers, but there was a company that made these at one time for GS shafties.
        They look something like this:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          The ones I'm familiar with use the engine mounts. These are sometimes referred to as "three point" mounting.

You can still get them new:

These fit all the 850, 1000, and 1100 shafties -, G, GL, and GK -- the engine mount points are the same on all the 850+ shaft drive bikes. In fact, the engines can be swapped.

There's also a crashbar style that's more like a big oval or trapezoid -- it mounts to one of the front engine mounts and also clamps to the frame further up. And again, this area of the frame is identical on all 850 and larger shafties (although you might run into clearance issues with the fairing mounts on a GK, or a bike with an aftermarket fairing).

Nowadays, you see this style of crash bar most often on cruisers, but there was a company that made these at one time for GS shafties.
          They look something like this:
          http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...gine-Bars.aspx
          Now THAT's some great and helpful information! Thanks I'm going to post a pic of what I found at the bone yard and how I installed it. (but I'm at work now and can't get to my computer to post it). I'm pretty sure what I found was a "2 point" engine guard. the center bar runs parallel with the bike unlike the shots of the ones I can find on the internet that run perpendicular to the bike.
          sigpic

Comment

what about a 78 750, same mounting points?

Comment

Find a pair of 3 point case guards, they are the best. The big oval one is useless, I had one on my bike and the one time I had to lay the bike down, it folded back like a cheap chair. It folded back far enough to bust my stator case and miss up a bunch of other stuff. The 2 point case guards are useless as well as they will fold back as well
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My L came with none pipe engine guards and would be pretty easy to make though have thought of drilling a few holes to let a bit more cooling air thru

Comment

Working...
                X