Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crank case removal

Hey Gang,

I laid over my bike this morning in the garage due to my kickstand being on unstable ground. After i was done swearing at myself i put it back on level ground. My crank case is cracked now. Its very small i think. I'm wondering if some jb weld will do the trick. I dont' know how big the crack is until i get it off. I work alot not alot of time to work on it or get online to research the proper work. I haven't worked on many bikes. Not alot of tools but i can buy whatevers needed.

The screws are old and 2 look damn near stripped. What is the best way to remove these screws safely to remove crank case to have a look? A screw driver isn't cutting it and I don't want to strip anything. What type tool would be best? How can i heat it up ? Can't run engine w/ no oil. Its all over my garage floor. I'm just disgusted thinking about the whole thing.

1980 GS 1000 engine. I think . Not sure model. Bought it custom. GS1100 frame from 1980 i think. Definitely GS1000 motor stamped on it.

Comment

Invest in a good (go ahead and ask me why I stress "good" here)hand operated impact driver. The kind you smack with a hammer. It should take them right out.

Also, I don't know much about the stuff, but I don't think I would trust JB Weld on a piece that is going to get hot. The expansion ratios of the metal and the epoxy are going to be different and it seems to me that it would only fail sooner or later. I could be wrong, but it's not something I would do personally.

Comment

Thanks Gonzo, ironic I'm nicknamed J Gonzo and I play in a band named The Gonz. I'm from MI originally too. Weird. (insert "weird" HST quote here)

I think my buddy's pops has an impact driver. I don't need to ask you why you stress good. I think I just said today at work the easiest job is always the hardest.

I don't know much about the stuff either. My buddy swears by it. Vendor boasts heat water and oil proof. but who knows. I still haven't identified my engine fully. Hard to order the correct CCC if I don't know. It seems alot are very similar. 79-80. Gotta check more of bass's manuals. I'm not riding guess i can read!

Comment

I used Jb weld on a damaged stator cover. Worked quite well. I made sure to get it really clean, then roughened it up and spread it out so it had more area to stick to. Ended up buying a new one because I didnt like the look of it and couldnt find any nice used ones.

Comment

Is that your stator cover? Hard to tell for certain by that pic.
            If so, there should be a bunch of people on this forum with a 1000 chain drive stator cover.

Eric

Comment

I suppose trying the epoxy wouldn't hurt if you keep a good eye on it. I just don't know that I would have piece of mind in the long run is why I say just get a different cover.

We should start an unofficial "Gonzo" club. You, me, and Hunter S. Thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                Is that your stator cover? Hard to tell for certain by that pic.
                If so, there should be a bunch of people on this forum with a 1000 chain drive stator cover.

Eric
                I guess it is my stator cover. Its on the left hand side. Its all one piece of aluminum. Stators i've seen online look like a smaller circle. This is one oblong circlesque shape that is all one piece. I got all the screws but one that was stripped already. DAMMIT. I don't know how to go about getting this last screw. Its stripped bad. impact driver is just spinning away. I'm gonna try mini vice grips on it tonight after work. What a pain in the arse! Any other ideas how to get out? I 'd hate to pay to have sumone come tap it out.
                Also where do i find a member with a cover on here?

Comment

That shiny aluminum is whats cracked.

Comment

you could drill the head off the screw, then pull the cover off and get some mole grips on the remaining part of the screw. most of them are quite long on that cover so you should be able to get a decent grip on it.
                    the covers are easy to find on ebay, (in the UK anyway)
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

is there enough room to cut a slot on the screw, and then to use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it ?

Comment

1-hammer
                        1-sharp chisel
                        hammer at the angle the screw will spin=counter clockwise.
                        the screw does not stand a chance.
                        once it spins take a #3 phillips and remove.

Comment

I dropped my '78 GS1000E and cracked the stator cover myself, and it had a oil leak. That was along time ago, all I did was clean the oil off and put some epoxy on it, it was still holding up 24K miles later when I sold it.
                          But now to that screw, I've always been able to loosen them up when the heads were rounded out with a wood chisel, just tap the side of screw to get a bite and then tap it in the direction the screw loosens with a glancing blow, always worked for me.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                          X