Valve Tappet Feeler Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Tappet Feeler Gauges

I'm trying to find a good set of feeler gauges and I can't seem to find any that are the angled tappet style that are thinner than .008mm.

Is that fine since if I can't get in at that gauge, it's too tight anyway or should I have once that goes thinner?

I've been hunting Amazon since I have a Prime account, but if there is a good set somewhere else please let me know.

most tool shops sell them, or ebay has hundreds of them.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
      I'm trying to find a good set of feeler gauges and I can't seem to find any that are the angled tappet style that are thinner than .008mm.

Is that fine since if I can't get in at that gauge, it's too tight anyway or should I have once that goes thinner?

I've been hunting Amazon since I have a Prime account, but if there is a good set somewhere else please let me know.
      I have a set of metric straight feelers that work fine. Are your valves positioned such that you really need the angled feeler to check them?

The really thin gauges (e.g., 0.04mm - 0.08mm) already flex substantially, so you should have no problem navigating the gaps.

Comment

I keep .001" shim stock in my tool box for the really tight ones. Shim stock is easier to find than feeler guages less than .0015".

Comment

Z1 has a good straight set of metric feelers, but I've yet to find a set of metric tappet style feelers that go smaller than .008mm

Do bikes must have pretty narrow clearances compared to a lot of other engines or is it just that there isn't much demand?

Comment

look further, draper do a set, there are LOADS on ebay
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
              Z1 has a good straight set of metric feelers, but I've yet to find a set of metric tappet style feelers that go smaller than .008mm
              Make sure you do not have metric confused with SAE (American inches) measurements. I don't know where you would use ".008mm" when checking valve clearances. (I think you have too many zeros.) The clearance spec on the 8 valve motors is .03mm - .08mm or .001 - .003 inches. I like using the metric feeler gauges because they are more accurate. I picked up my metric feeler gauges at my local Pep Boys auto store. Note that most SAE gauges will have metric equivalents on the reverse side of the inches notation. (i.e. .001 inches is equivalent to .0254mm.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I just purchased a metric set from z1 they are straight and they worked just fine. I was using an inch set and I have to agree get the metric they are more accurate. Be sure to switch your skims around and recheck you might fine you don't as many as when you first checked. I just did mine though I needed 5 or 6 but after switching them around I only need 2. Now I just need to get a 2.60 and a 2.7 and I will be done. Again thank you BassCliff for all the informaton. Also thank you to all the members who share so much.

Thank you everyone
                Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 02:06 AM. Reason: needed to add on thanks

Comment

Working...
                X