Good Tools For My Tinkering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Tools For My Tinkering??

Hey Guys, just wondering if i could get recommendations on good must-have tools for the general maintenance i plan to do on my '83 GS850G?? Thanks

Search is your friend...
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

A set of metric wrenches and sockets will do most of it. An impact driver is nice to have to get the stubborn screws out. Of course, an assortment pliers and screwdrivers will probably be needed too. A metric set of feeler gauges for the valve adjustment......and the list goes on and on......
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

You dont need top shelf Snap on stuff..I would go to the flea markets and get the 25cent specials. Get all the metric combination wrenches, 3/8 and 1/4 drive raqtchets and sockets, some long 8 or 10 inch shanked screw drivers, metric allen wrenches..thats sort of basic stuff. That way youll have the basics rather cheaply and if a wrench breaks its not a 12.00 loss. Now if you can afford the top shelf stuff then go for it.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have actually switched to Harbor Freight tools. They now carry a lifetime warranty and they have some reasonably prices combo sets. Such as combination wrenches and socket/ratchet sets.

Comment

metric wrench set
            metric regular and deep well sockets.
            I like to have a 1/4 drive 3/8 sets handy
            3/8 drive metric hex drivers (allen)
            JIS screwdrivers in #2 and #3 sizes.
            one LONG flat head screwdriver for adjusting carbs.
            Impact driver
            Rear axle nut takes a 24mm socket
            front sprocket and clutch hub are 32mm
            What the heck is the front axle? 17mm?
            1/2 drive breaker bar for the big nuts
            torque wrenches.. (won't get into specifics here) 5-80 ft/lb is a good start.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I would go to the flea markets and get the 25cent specials.

Sorry but I have to disagree on getting the 25 cent special.......your just asking for issues...

you will either screw up the tool, or screw up the nut/bolt/screw etc......you could end up rounding out the corners on the nut, stripping the head on the screw, or even the wrench will open up, if some good force is applied in either taking something off or putting something on....

A crap tool is just that, crap....a good quality tool will last you a lifetime, buy it once and forget about it, pass it on to your kids.....

Craftsman at Sears, or Mastercraft at Canadian Tire, both have lifetime warranty and are of descent quality, I have sets over 15 years old, and some stuff my father gave to me, still like new.

I don't know about the Harbor Freight stuff or the Princess Auto (Power Fist) stuff, so I won't comment on that, I just don't think it's up to par.

Sears and Canadian Tire have sales on their tools a lot of the time, you wont go wrong with either

Comment

HMM...i got a full box of old flea market ones and never an issue withn any of them. Look at the brands on them too. Just cuz there in the cheapo bin doesnt necessarily mean they arent decent ones. Youll find all kinds of brands in those bins. Can get a basic full outfitting for not much over 25 bucks or so. All you really needs is 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 1nd 19 MM as a starter set. And whatever sizes the clutch hub abd sprockets nuts are. Heck you can even find a working electric impact gut for near dirt cheap. I got a nice Milwaukee 4 inch angle grinder for 5 bucks. I added a new longer length of cord and its been working well for maybe 6 or 7 years now. Check the names on things in the bins and youll be surprised!!!
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post

I don't know about the Harbor Freight stuff or the Princess Auto (Power Fist) stuff, so I won't comment on that, I just don't think it's up to par.
                  r
                  If you haven't looked at HF tools in a few years I'd go take a look again.
                  They have really improved the tool line..

I have their 3/8 hex drive sockets and they work just a swell as my craftsman ones. I don't think I'd get a ratchet there but the sockets and the smooth chrome hand wrenches look ok.

Chuck has a good point on Flea markets, industrial surplus stores, heck pawn shops too.
                  I have a bunch of snap on sockets I picked from the socket bin at Boeing Surplus. They sold em for $3 a pound!

I got full sets of standard and metric crafstman ignition wrenches (little wrenches about 4" long) for $5 at a pawn shop.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                    metric wrench set
                    metric regular and deep well sockets.
                    I like to have a 1/4 drive 3/8 sets handy
                    3/8 drive metric hex drivers (allen)
                    JIS screwdrivers in #2 and #3 sizes.
                    one LONG flat head screwdriver for adjusting carbs.
                    Impact driver
                    Rear axle nut takes a 24mm socket
                    front sprocket and clutch hub are 32mm
                    What the heck is the front axle? 17mm?
                    1/2 drive breaker bar for the big nuts
                    torque wrenches.. (won't get into specifics here) 5-80 ft/lb is a good start.
                    Don't forget the 19mm wrench for turning the engine by hand. On some bikes it may be a 17mm. So make sure the wrench set goes up enough through the sizes.

Comment

hand impact driver. The kind you hold and hit with a hammer.
                      I found my dremel invaluable for the first round of getting out those JIS screws that stripped. Just put a flat in the head, impact driver it out, replace the screw.

I also like having a cheap cold chisel set. When you just want to hit something with a hammer you might as well have the right tool for the job.

Sounds like i enjoy tools that allow me to use my hammer...

You don't need much for working on these machines sockets wise. Just try to get 6pt sockets instead of 12pt. A normal and deep size in 3/8" metric in the sizes previously mentioned will do almost everything you need.

Comment

I guess if you want to do some things 'right' then you need a bit more.

If you want to do your carburetors right you will need a vacuum sync tool and a float bowl tool. Both can be made for cheap.

If you want to get your electrical system right you will need a multimeter. Probably also need a decent crimper and decent connections to fix the problems you find/create.

If you clean and calibrate the carbs properly, check and rehab the electrical, and remove and replace all of the ****ing JIS screws then you are way ahead of the curve i bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
                          I guess if you want to do some things 'right' then you need a bit more.

If you want to do your carburetors right you will need a vacuum sync tool and a float bowl tool. Both can be made for cheap.

If you want to get your electrical system right you will need a multimeter. Probably also need a decent crimper and decent connections to fix the problems you find/create.

If you clean and calibrate the carbs properly, check and rehab the electrical, and remove and replace all of the ****ing JIS screws then you are way ahead of the curve i bet.
                          When you get a crimper, get a double crimper. And lots of spade connectors and some shrink tubing. Put the shrink tubing on first, crimp on the connector, and then place the shrink tubing on the end of the connector and use a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink it and act as weatherproofing and stress relief.
                          JIS screwdrivers are Japanese Industrial Standard Phillips head. This is why you will strip out the screw heads if you try to use an SAE screwdriver. I have read that you can grind off the end of an SAE screwdriver and it will work, but I have never tried it.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: Added JIS info

Comment

Lighter will shrink wrap as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              Craftsman at Sears
                              They started selling Craftsman at Ace Hardware down here too. That's handy since Ace is only a few blocks away, where as Sears is across town. If the bike is torn apart and I need a tool, I'd rather have the short drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X