Good Tools For My Tinkering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dyoung View Post
    quick question, does anyone have any experience or opinions about Menards Masterforce line of tools? was thinking about getting a set because it has alot of what i'd need but I don't want to buy crap tools?
    IMHO, Masterforce tools are cheap junk from deepinaharta the Orient.

Comment

A great list of solid advice but maybe I can add a bit:

Buy a tin of grease or oil mix valve lapping compound. It is wonderful stuff for helping a screwdriver tip to grip a tight or worn screw head. People who haven't tried it are missing a huge advantage. It also helps a socket or wrench to grip a partially rounded nut or bolt head.

Avoid cheap tools! As some have said, weak or poor fitting wrenches and sockets will round off fasteners and/or fail when you most need them. You need not buy the top line stuff such as Mac, Snap-on, Williams, Proto, etc. but don't buy cheap no-name stuff as it will cost you. Of course, this isn't an issue for low torque locations but rounding off a flywheel/rotor bolt head and life is not improved!

Interesting how often people advise using cheap tools in the tools carried on the bike or such applications. Let's say that you are on a back road with no habitation for miles and need to do a repair. Which tool is best, the cheap piece of junk which may break or round off the fastener, leading to an even greater level of problems? Maybe a good quality tool which will get the job done? You do the math.....

Go slowly in acquiring tools and plan the aquisitions as you are doing now. Make sure that you have the tools needed for the operations which will justify the tool purchase. Needing to buy $200.00 worth of tools to do a job which can be done by a professional for $50.00 doesn't pay well.

As someone said, "friends". I help out friends all the time with professional tools as have them from my years as a tech. No need for someone to buy a high priced special tool for one time use.

Hook up with a couple of friends and have each specialize in tools for some aspect of common bike servicing. One can acquire a basic tire replacement set; another a vacuum brake bleeder; and maybe the third a decent multimeter and some good crimpers. You do the divvy. No use spending $30,000.00 on tools you might only need once every couple of years.

Comment

Working...
      X