Had a weird issue yesterday after 1hr ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a weird issue yesterday after 1hr ride

Ok so yesterday a mate came down and we went for a ride for about an hour together. Usually most of my rides have been fairly short (still learning), but yesterday it was nice enough so we went for a ride along the beach road.

Anyhow, we had stopped a few times before and switched our bikes off and had no issues.
    Then after about 15kms we pulled over and switched them off and had a chat for a bit. When going back to start the bike, the battery seemed totally gone! Got one or two moans out of the starter motor and nothing.

So waited a while, took the seat off and got access to the battery to check out the model number (don't know the batteries history from the previous owner but was told it was 'new' )

Anyways, we waited about 15-20 minutes and managed to get enough charge to get it started.

Now today I went into the garage to see if it would start and it started first time, with the headlight on. No dramas.

What could this be?!?! Alternator? battery? particular wind chill factor yesterday?
    This noob has no idea.

Might need to check your charging system. How did you charge it when it died on that ride?

Comment

sorry i was a bit unclear.. we just left it be for 15-20 minutes and it got a little bit more in it without doing anything.
      So unclear as to whether this is actually a battery issue or something else (seeing as it started straight away this morning with head lights on).

Not sure why a medium length ride would cause this reaction... :s

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
        sorry i was a bit unclear.. we just left it be for 15-20 minutes and it got a little bit more in it without doing anything.
        So unclear as to whether this is actually a battery issue or something else (seeing as it started straight away this morning with head lights on).

Not sure why a medium length ride would cause this reaction... :s
        Forget the length of the ride. Numbers... we need numbers. You know, science. Facts. Get your hands on a voltmeter and see if the bike is charging and whether the battery is healthy.

You could have anything from an intermittent or corroded connection to a bad fuse, corroded contacts in the starter switch, a bad ground on the solenoid, worn starter brushes, and several other possibilities. Maybe more than one.

First things first. Spend $3 on a voltmeter. See what the battery voltage is at rest and with the key on. See what the cranking voltage is. See what the charging voltage is at 5,000 rpm.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yep yep. Multimeter and chase down and bad spots. It might be hard to duplicate shorts sometimes since your harness might shift and "fix" itself, so bear in mind you might have to sort through all that spaghetti and look real close for cracks, burns, rubbing, basically any sign of foul play.

Comment

thanks for the tips gents time to learn about electronics....

Should i be referring to the battery, my owners manual or numbers you guys have had when comparing voltages?

Comment

Read over the GS STATOR papers on this site.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

my bike behaves the same, I just haven't had time to go through the charging system. it will start right up and be fine for my ride. but if i stop, then try to restart it, it acts like the battery is drained and won't hardly turn over. wait 30 min and it starts right up. last time it did it i just push started it when it wouldn't crank, and it fired right up and ran fine.

maybe this weekend I'll have time to go through the stator papers and check everything. haven't ridden it in a while, and the weather is getting really nice.

Comment

Starter

Based on all that you mentioned, I strongly suspect that the problem is the starter. I've experienced that same problem a number of times on bikes and I'd bet that's it. Come to think of it, I also experienced exactly the same thing on a '68 Mustang.
                  1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Classic symptoms of either worn starter motor brushes or a dirty armature. The manual will tell you minimum length for the brushes (it varies depending on the model). Pop the thing out, measure and replace if needed or just clean it if not needed.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thanks for the words
                      will try to chase down all things mention here. In a week or two after this horror last week or two of uni is over!!! guh . . .

Comment

There's a safety switch that only lets it start if the clutch is pulled in. If it's 30 yrs old, chances are it's dirty inside and the contacts need freshening up. If you decide to investigate that, do a search here for some tips. You can lose little parts easy when you take it apart if you're not careful. My bike wouldn't start after a ride the other day when I parked it to open my gate. I jiggled the clutch and it finally started strongly. After a good cleaning, all is well.
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                        X