Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed! GS500E -1980 service/repair manual

Hi.
    I´ve just bought myself a 1980 GS500E. It´s a four cylinder engine, looks quite the same as the GS550E 1979 model, just smaller bore, and maybe smaller carbs.
    My engine need an overhaul, and I´m desperatly looking for a repair manual. Would be a complete gasket set, shims, timing belt and tensioner, seals for carburators, dynojet kit, etc...
    This bike is like a ghost-bike here on the internet, even if it was produced within year 76 to 80. I´m struggling to find any good info about this bike, so any tip will come handy. Maybe there is an equivalent list for spare parts to this bike!?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bennpeter,

Are you sure it's not a GS550E? Have you tried reading the links on the GSR homepage? See http://www.thegsresources.com.

Then move onto my little website. Let me dump a TON of information (vendors, tips, diagrams, tutorials, etc) on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for your reply, BassCliff.
      This is a 492ccm for shure. What I´ve heard/read is that this is a motorbike made for the italian market to avoid some extra taxes back in the late seventies. I don´t know if it´s just the carburators and the bore which is slightly different. It might be that all the other parts are just the same as the 550E. That is basically what I´m trying to find out, so that it would be easier for me to know what parts to order. I´m kind of struggling in headwind here... Hopefully your knowledge would take me further :-)

Comment

So far it seems that the GS500E (-80) and the GS550E (-78/-79) is the same bike, except from the bore, which is slightly smaller on my 500. I was a bit afraid of that I had bought a bike which was some kind of one off, but seems like this is ok. After all, it´s a suzuki, and it would probably last forever... That means that this bike will appear as a cafe racer next summer:-)

Comment

i did the research and found out my bike is a 1980 gs500e, it is a ghost bike though, I'm wishing to find an accurate wiring diagram, carb specs and other things. but haven't found a service manuel any where for the gs500e, should i just get a manual for the 78/79 gs550. would the carburetors be different?

Comment

Working...
          X