No announcement yet.

My first oil change isn't going to be cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you have a Harbor Freight store near you>?? you can buy a nice heavy socket, gloves, cleaners..ect.. there a little cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
      do you have a Harbor Freight store near you>?? you can buy a nice heavy socket, gloves, cleaners..ect.. there a little cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/
      you do in Lincoln, NE.. I checked.. here is the link to the store..

Comment

I usually buy the Rotella oil in the big jug (3.7 liter IIRC) from Auto Zone. It's a little cheaper that way.

Comment

So I stopped into ACE on the way back from lunch and they didn't even sell a 20mm socket. 19mm and then 21mm. A few of you mentioned 21mm. It's possible that my measurement was off.

I used an adjustable wrench, got it tight on the bolt, then measured that with a ruler (best I can do at this point). I measured 20mm, but it's very possible that it's 21mm. Anyone with a 650 who can confirm this? I don't doubt that the other engines very likely used the same size, but there is no telling.

Comment

my GS1000 is 21mm, not sure if that helps at all
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
              So I stopped into ACE on the way back from lunch and they didn't even sell a 20mm socket. 19mm and then 21mm. A few of you mentioned 21mm. It's possible that my measurement was off.

I used an adjustable wrench, got it tight on the bolt, then measured that with a ruler (best I can do at this point). I measured 20mm, but it's very possible that it's 21mm. Anyone with a 650 who can confirm this? I don't doubt that the other engines very likely used the same size, but there is no telling.
              Maybe you missed my post above, but all auto parts/hardware stores will have a 13/16" spark plug socket...that will fit your drain plug.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

21mm and 13/16" are very close and both will work.
                Just make sure that you use a 6-point socket either way.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  21mm and 13/16" are very close and both will work.
                  Exactly...and EVERYONE has a 13/16" spark plug socket...

Borrow one from your neighbor...he will have one....
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Sorry gentlemen, but the 13/16 socket did NOT fit (yes I DID have one of those ). I "measured" again and it is closer to 21mm than 20mm so I think I'll get the 21 instead.

I realize were are talking about the difference of less than .4 mm but my 13/16 socket would not fit well enough to risk using it. I'd round the top corners off, even if I had managed to get it loose.

Glad I checked again though. I'd like to keep my shopping trip down to a single trip. I'm bad about having to run to the store half a dozen times when working on house projects.

Comment

It most likely didn't fit because the PO used an adjustable wrench/wrong size socket and buggered it up.
                      When you do get it out file, grind whatever to get rid of the new flashing.

Eric

Comment

My wife asked me to check with the local dealer to see how much they'd charge. I was quoted $100! Holy crap! F that!

Comment

Be careful not to put the oil filter in backwards, believe it or not, I've seen this done.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Hi,

For what it's worth, here is my oil changing experience:

Oil and Filter Change

Stripped Oil Drain Plug Repair

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                            X