Question from an Irishman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question from an Irishman.

Hi guys, now please dont laugh, im being as serious as one can be about this sort of thing, i got a new set of vacuum guages with guages from Busters UK at £33 + p+p thats good value about these parts. With 4 equal length tubes if i put 4 ml of air in a medical syringe and connect it to the 4 tubes one at a time then compress the syringe to zero i get a reading of 33kg/cm2, then pull the syring out to 10 ml i get a reading of 205 and i do the same with all 4 and synchronize as i go. Does this mean i dont need to synchronize the guages on the carbs ? If this is the case then my new guages are ok. First time iv had guages. OK have a laugh. many thanks, Stephen.

No one is going to laugh at you I'm just not sure of what you are asking. What are you attempting to find out with the syringe fill of air? Are you testing the workability of the gauges?

In vacumm synching carbs the actual measurement is valueless. what you are trying to obtain is conformity i.e. each gauge is as close to the others as possible.

Have you tried them on the bike and what type of bike is it?

Hopefully we'll get you sorted. I think that calls for a Tullamore & a Guiness don't you?

Slainte,
    Spyug (one of the few Scotsmen who'll own up to drinking Irish too )

Comment

Nice lateral thinking Stephen and I'm surprised the gauges are that consistent. Like Spyug says - ignore the values.

If you want to check that the gauges are consistent connect them one at a time to the same inlet; the reading should remain the same on each.

The trick with those cheap Busters gauges is setting the damping carefully. For the best accuracy you need to wind the adjusters in to very, very nearly fully closed. Otherwise they work fine. Some folk don't like them but they work well as long as you do those checks.

Edit: An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman.....

(sorry couldn't resist it with the first 3 posts in this thread coming from the 3 of us.....)
      Last edited by hampshirehog; 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Question.

Hi Spyug, a Scotsman in Ontario, Canada, and drinking Guiness in Tullamore. your a long way from home, an you gave me a laugh.
        Yes.Trying to cheque the guages for conformity so as each guage is as close to the others as possible. Iv got a 1980 GS850L on which id need to use the guages ex New York ? Iv also got a 1982 GS1100L which i brought from Ohio. Im a big GS L fan and as Suzuki never exported here iv had to look to the U.S.
        Meantime, the 1100s going like the clappers and if the weather takes up i plan on a visit to the Highland Show, AGAIN, and GlenCoe, AGAIN, and the Highlands, AGAIN.*FANTASTIC*
        Hi Hampshirehog, what are you doing there, this thread beginning to sound territorial, not hard to work out where your based, thanks, good to know about the damping, and iv just dampened the dampers with the syringe, hope it works, Id thought the syringe would be handier and have the same effect as carbs. They wernt listed as being economy but when i received them was on the packaging and receipt. Stephen.
        Last edited by Chromedome; 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM. Reason: omitted

Comment

Working...
        X