Not a GS, but, advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a GS, but, advice please?

Hey all. Didn't want to post in O/T since "no technical questions are to be posted here"...

I'm going to check out a BMW R1100RT, ex-police cruiser. Looks to be in great shape.

That said, for anyone that has some experience/insight, and is willing to share, what are some things to look for/look out for on these bikes? Are there any strange foibles to the R-series bikes to look out for?

I'm poking around on some BMW forums too, but I trust and respect the experience here on this forum, don't know about those other guys...

I guess that's it. Thanks in advance for your time!
    ~Matt

I have an R1100RT, I like it a lot. The engine is easier to work on than a Suzuki GS, valve adjustments are simple, balance the throttle bodies once in a while, change brake fluid, all the usual stuff. Cables and levers and such last forever, mine have 76,000 miles on them and work very smoothy, smoother than a brand new Suzuki. I made some handlebar risers to raise them about an inch, made it much more comfortable for me. Check for loose front brake rotors, not a big deal but sometimes the bobbins that hold them together wear. If the battery gets low, after a start the anti lock brake computer will need to be reset. It's easy and requires no tools. Look at the hardware around the windscreen, the up and down mechanism sometimes gets a few broken small parts.
    Ask if the clutch splines have been lubed, it should be done once in a while, maybe every 50,000 miles or so.
    The little steel thing that sticks out of the side stand so you can reach it with your toe is frail, mine broke off when the bike fell over once. I need to weld it back on but haven't gotten around to it. Also the side stand foot is quite small, it can sink into a soft surface. The turn signal switching is goofy, but you will get used to it.
    Check how easy the mirrors fall off, they are meant to pop off instead of break, but mine are too loose, they fall off once in a while on a big bump. (they dangle from a cable)
    Other than that, mine has been completely trouble free, and a nice bike to ride once you get used to it.
    Last edited by tkent02; 06-12-2012, 11:02 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks, Tom. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

Is there any way to tell the condition of the drive spline on the spot, without a test ride (I'm assuming like most sellers that may be out of the question.)?

Then again, the bike has just under 54k, maybe I'll just make sure that's on the td list if I get the bike.

Since it's an ex-police bike, I'm (fingers crossed) hoping it was a well-maintained fleet motorcycle, and not beaten on. I guess we'll have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
        Thanks, Tom. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

Is there any way to tell the condition of the drive spline on the spot, without a test ride (I'm assuming like most sellers that may be out of the question.)?

Then again, the bike has just under 54k, maybe I'll just make sure that's on the td list if I get the bike.

Since it's an ex-police bike, I'm (fingers crossed) hoping it was a well-maintained fleet motorcycle, and not beaten on. I guess we'll have to see.
        I don't actually think the lubing is required at any certain interval, just one of those things BMW riders know to do. You can't tell from a test ride, there are no symptoms. It's like a small car clutch, you have to pull the transmission to do it. I've been planning on tearing mine down for this each winter since I've owned it. It never happens, I ride it all winter. Oh Yeah, with the windscreen down, cold air flows down your body all the way to your knees, like air conditioning. With the screen up, hot air from the engine flows up, all the way to your head. It's like turning the heater on. And the alternator is like a car, it can make enough power to run all the heated gear two people could possibly wear. The police version probably has an even bigger alternator.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X