X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear vs RMP vs MPH

Howdie Folks;

Just a general question...
    Is there a maximum RPM you should be in for any particular gear ?
    Ex. 1st gear-30/40 MPH- 6K-8K (is more OK ?)
    Is it OK to redline in every gear ? I'm thinking you would want to push more air over the motor at higher RPMs, which implies higher gear and speed.
    ..of course assuming bike is tuned and in good working order.

Just curious
    Thanks

"I'm thinking you would want to push more air over the motor at higher RPMs," Not sure what you saying here, the engine doesn't really start cooling until about 30 mph from some of the articles I've read on air cooled bikes. I rarely redline my bike in every day riding, really no need too unless one is in a hurry or showing off (which is stupid). Only times I even come close to redline is on the open highway. Redlining on busy city streets is just asking for trouble.

Just listen to the engine, it will tell you when it wants to be shifted.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The engine is designed to tolerate redline in any gear, but running the engine needlessly hard isn't advised.
      Last edited by Nessism; 06-15-2012, 06:08 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I go to redline often enough. If the bike is giving you power, keep going. Below 7,000 and the bike 'accelerates' but between 7,500 and 10,000 it TAKES OFF.
        Where I live there are no access ramps or on/off ramps.
        So I am constantly going from sitting stopped at a corner, to accelerating into 100kmh+ traffic, usually oil tankers or grain trucks.
        By the time I'm shifting to 2nd, there is more than enough airflow to keep things right. Hell my headers are original and they have no color to them other than chrome.
        I don't really HAVE to make the rpms climb that high, but it is a great feeling, and the bike does it easily, and seems to enjoy it.
        Plus the truckers have a better chance of seeing me if they hear the pipes roaring.

My bike sings an angry song at 7,500 - 10,000 though, so if yours sounds like it's screaming in agony then don't push it so much.

Tank
        Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

"Sound" advise.
          If she sounds like she's not puttin out any more (), best back-off and go eazy !!
          Maximum air-flow at higher RPMs= happier engine

Thanks

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. sebby110,

If you can find a contemporary magazine review of your bike the reviewers usually list top speed at redline in each gear. What bike are we talking about? Around town I usually shift at 4000 rpm - 5000 rpm, not enough to draw attention to myself but enough to quickly scoot through or ahead of traffic. (Note: At 4000 rpm in 3rd gear I'm going 40mph.) I rev it out higher only when necessary, or on some back mountain road to have some fun.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm a big fan of ex racer and now riding coach Reg Pridmore. He advocates keeping the revs up to around 5/6000 rpm in the lower gears for street riding which he says keeps the bike in the powerband and helps set the suspension. I'm not sure about that myself as 3/4000 seems more comfortable to me. Getting past that and the bike wants to take off with after burners it feels like.

The highest I've shifted at is probably 8000 rpm and while she could go & would go higher, she was screaming and I would have been aiming for triple digits coming out of 3rd. That could have turned out to be expensive in a 60kmph zone.

I think mr. bill has it right, just let the bike tell you when to shift unless you're being chased by a pack of vampires then bury that needle and get outta Dodge.

Enjoy but ride safely friends.
              Spyug

Comment

Now that is funny

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Ie.

I think mr. bill has it right, just let the bike tell you when to shift unless you're being chased by a pack of vampires then bury that needle and get outta Dodge.

Enjoy but ride safely friends.
                Spyug
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                X