Cleaning plugs with Evaporust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning plugs with Evaporust

I just completed an experiment soaking some fouled plugs in evaporust.It completely decarboned them after 3 days, and left the ceramics bright white. I soaked them in alcohol to remove the residue evaporust leaves,beause I didn't want to take the chance on it burning or causing cracked ceramic. I haven't used them yet.

This seems like a painless way to clean up plugs. Am I missing any problems?

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post
    I just completed an experiment soaking some fouled plugs in evaporust.It completely decarboned them after 3 days, and left the ceramics bright white. I soaked them in alcohol to remove the residue evaporust leaves,beause I didn't want to take the chance on it burning or causing cracked ceramic. I haven't used them yet.

carb cleaner works well also...

Comment

Should be fine as long as you rinse em off. Oven cleaner works good too.

Comment

I have one of those plug sand blasters, a good blasting, blow it out with air, then hose it out with some Berrymans. Then I inspect them to make sure the ceramic isn't cracked. Word of caution just don't get carried away with the plug cleaner, a couple seconds is all ya need.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post

the only problem i can see is you have to wait 3 days, when they can be cleaned in minutes with the right spray
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yes, it is slow. But in my shop, I have time, and use what I have on hand. No reason that plugs shouldn't soak while I work on something, so long as they are ready on time. One more idea in the bag of tricks...

I will scrounge up some Berryman's though. One can never have too many kinds of magic juice in the workshop

Comment

In seconds with a Harbor Freight spark plug cleaner..theve been posted here a million times so heres a million and one.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                In seconds with a Harbor Freight spark plug cleaner..theve been posted here a million times so heres a million and one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...ner-32860.html
                I love mine

Comment

Working...
                X