Saddlebag supports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddlebag supports

I'm thinking of grabbing these for my 1980 GS750e.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycl...ags/49964.html

My main concern is them flopping around, so I need to find some sort of support bracket that will fit the bike. All the brackets I'm seeing mount on the side of the vehicle, but the 750 doesn't really have a spot to do that, unless I'm missing something.

There are two holes on each side under the seat I could mount to though if I could find brackets like that.

Does anyone have experience putting saddlebags on this bike?

Thanks

Those are nice!

Much nicer looking that the ammo cases I was thinking of mounting.

Comment

I'm heading down to Lowe's to see if I can't fine some pipe to bend and do my own thing. May be cheaper and easier in the long run than hunting down something to support a 30 year old bike.

Comment

See if you can fab something that goes from the shock stud to a fabbed bracket coming off the turn signal frame area or the passenger grab rail.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm super interested in seeing what you come up with.

Comment

Did you by chance do a search?

I think not, because a simple search for "saddlebag" would have gotten you this page of results.

Scanning the results, in just the fourth line you would have seen this: Post a pic of your saddlebag brackets?.

In there, I show what I did on my wife's bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Did you by chance do a search?

I think not, because a simple search for "saddlebag" would have gotten you this page of results.

Scanning the results, in just the fourth line you would have seen this: Post a pic of your saddlebag brackets?.

In there, I show what I did on my wife's bike.

I did see your posts, in a few different threads. Unfortunately, it wasn't much help in my situation, due to different bikes and me not being in a fabrication shop.

Thanks for assuming though.

Comment

Originally posted by bottobot View Post
                I'm super interested in seeing what you come up with.

I saw something interesting on a google image that may work.

I'm going to get a couple L brackets and fasten those on the frame in the easy spot I got. Then I'm going to attach a sheet of hard plastic sheeting to the L bracket to create a little wall barrier between the bag and the bike.

That should keep everything away from the shocks and wheel and also prevent anything from rubbing against the bike and beating up the paint.

Should hopefully be cheap too.

Comment

Type of bikes has nothing to do with the idea behind the bracket Gripweed. It's more of an ability to copy what you see; something I don't have very well when it comes to metal.

But I've seen Steve's setup and there's no reason you can't do the same he did IN HIS GARAGE; no metal shop there
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Type of bikes has nothing to do with the idea behind the bracket Gripweed. It's more of an ability to copy what you see; something I don't have very well when it comes to metal.

But I've seen Steve's setup and there's no reason you can't do the same he did IN HIS GARAGE; no metal shop there
                    Ok....but I don't have the ability to due such things. I went looking for some quarter or three eights rod like that to bend, but all they have was half inch. It seemed like over kill.

If my places don't have the supplies, not much I can do. I gotta use what's available.

Comment

One good spot to mount the hardware is the upper mounting bolt on the rear shock.
                      I'm going to be using a flat piece of 1/8th steel with a hole drilled at one end, angled back and downward to keep the bags from hitting the rear wheel or anything else. If you have a drill and get the steel, you're golden!

Hope it helps.

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                        One good spot to mount the hardware is the upper mounting bolt on the rear shock.
                        I'm going to be using a flat piece of 1/8th steel with a hole drilled at one end, angled back and downward to keep the bags from hitting the rear wheel or anything else. If you have a drill and get the steel, you're golden!

Hope it helps.

Tank

Thinking about using these two bolts under the seat.

If I come off those with L brackets and come out 4 inches I'll clear everything.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                          I did see your posts, in a few different threads. Unfortunately, it wasn't much help in my situation, due to different bikes and me not being in a fabrication shop.

Thanks for assuming though.
                          Only trying to give ideas, not necessarily telling you how to do it.

I will now assume you have it totally under control and will not offer any more suggestions.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                          Ok....but I don't have the ability to due such things. I went looking for some quarter or three eights rod like that to bend, but all they have was half inch. It seemed like over kill.

If my places don't have the supplies, not much I can do. I gotta use what's available.
                          I thought you said you were headed to Lowe's?

Guess where I got my supplies.

I'm outta here.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I don't know what to tell ya. Could be a simple fact that stores vary depending on where ya live.

I went to Lowe's and Home Depot. Smallest I could find was 1/2".

They did have 3/8" threaded, but I don't know how well that bends and stays stable. I'll probably grab a piece tonight and play with it.

Comment

So I spent last night trying to fabricate some saddlebag supports out of conduit.

Seemed like it was going to work, but then I went for a ride and they bent in a bit and start rattling on the shock. I bent them back out and they were ok, but once I add the bags and some weight, I see issues.

Any ideas on how to make it stronger? My next step will be to just get brass, cut a small piece to come out, use a 90 degree elbow, then cut another piece to go down. That way it's a 90 degree thing instead of a bend....might give it more support.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pP6n5

Comment

Working...
                              X