Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch piano wire dilemma, would would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch piano wire dilemma, would would you do?

I pulled my clutch apart a couple of weeks ago, and I've finally gathered up all the replacement parts I needed to put it back together.

My Father's Day present to myself was to do exactly that...

I had a brand new OEM piano-wire to hold the steel plate to the back of the clutch hub, but I messed it up when I installed it. I pulled the tang down through the hole with a pair of needle-nosed and the "clip " part at the end snapped off... There was a good 1/4" of wire sticking straight down through the hole so I simply bent it over. It's not as tight as it would be with the little clip end, but it seems pretty solid & I can't see why it wouldn't work. I stopped right there & figured I should check with better minds than mine before i continue.

What do you guys think? Should I suspend the install & get another piano wire? Or is this an OK work around? What bad things might happen if I leave it the way I did?

Thanks,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

One 750 I pulled apart had that piano wire all over it, interfering with the plates, steels etc. Caused because it came loose/wasnt fitted properly. Some of the plates were trashed because of it.

Personally I'd do the job properly...

I think I have read of some on here leaving it out altogether but I also seem to remember a post suggesting why that was not a good idea. No idea who posted it but it might show up in a search.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Leave it out Mike. Put a little grease on the step washer & the conical washer just to keep them in place and then just assemble the plates like you normally would. Been doing it this way for over 30 years with NO issues. Ray.

Comment

Thanks guys.

One vote to replace, one vote to remove...

Does anyone else leave the wire out completely? Not really sure what its purpose is anyway.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

i have not encountered these clutches with the piano wire but i would be inclined to go with Rays advice. if he says it will work without it then you can place a safe bet that it will
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Left mine out. Been working fine.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Leave it out Mike. Put a little grease on the step washer & the conical washer just to keep them in place and then just assemble the plates like you normally would. Been doing it this way for over 30 years with NO issues. Ray.
              This is what I would do also. The piano wire clip is likely an assembly aid when it was in the factory to make sure the plate, spring seat and wave washer didn't fall out of place.

I vote to leave it out. Take your time and be careful while following ray's instruction.

Comment

Well, I guess I'm leaving the wire out, unless someone convinces me other wise...

Thanks for the input!

Mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Just to close this topic out...

I re-assembled my clutch tonight and left the piano wire out. Took it out for a quick 20 mile ride and all seemed good. Shifted smooth with no slipage.

In the end, I replaced all the steels with new OEM ones, along with all new OEM springs. Re-used all the fibers, with a big thanks to Chef who sent me a couple used ones I needed to replace the two broken ones I found when I tore it down.

Planning to ride it to work tomorrow, a 70 mile round trip, so that should settle everything.

Thanks again for the input & advice.

mike
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

The piano wire spacer was put on there to assist in disengaging the clutch when the engine is cold, cold oil.

I did the same thing on mine when replacing the plates

You should notice a little difficulty shifting into 1st on a cold engine but that's about it.

I did replace mine eventually, its allot easier to do with the basket out on the bench.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X