Cheap Clutch Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Clutch Cables

So this is the second time I've broken my clutch cable. It's a real pain. I keep buying these Motion Pro cables from a local parts store. Anyone have suggestions for a cable that wont snap on me after a few months of use.

Oh and yes, I do keep it lubricated, and it's not pinched on anything. It doesn't stick at all, just snaps after a few months.

OEM...Suzuki...yes, the original cable...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Never had any problems with MP.

Comment

I was thinking about getting the OEM one. They aren't much more expensive than the MP ones.

Comment

Aren't the Motion Pro cables guaranteed for life against breakage?

Comment

If they are, I have two broken ones they can replace.

Comment

Replace your lever.

Over time, the hole in the lever gets egg-shaped and the barrel end of the cable can hang up and flex the cable sharply.

OEM levers and cables are the best, and they are only a few bucks more.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i went through 3 mp on a kz650, i do think the lever ,and maybe perch should be changed if wore,that may be causing it

Comment

I finally un-wrapped my new clutch cable the other day and installed it, bought it from Boulevard. I gotta say, the Suzuki cables are really high in quality compared to the MP stuff I've bought.

Comment

For a clutch lever like butter and super soft, there is nothing that comes close to an OEM cable, i will not use anything else.
                    And yes, a worn clutch lever pivot hole and bolt will eat cables.

Comment

As long as I am buying stuff, should I just buy the lever (57620-49111), or the clutch lever assembly (57500-49301)? The assembly is parts 4 through 14.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

I tried the MP cable, I caught just before it broke, only got 3 years out of it, the stock cable it replaced was 27 years old. I went back to the stock cable. Much stronger and better adjustments. I replace the clutch lever as well.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                        X