Moral Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moral Support

So I just bought a chain drive 1982 gs1100 with the 16 valve motor. I got it for $700, which seemed like a fair enough deal to me. It seems that this thing is running way lean since it has pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust.

Anyway, I spent the last hour trying to put the old air box back on. What a pain in the ass... Maybe my carb boots are at the wrong angle which is making this worse than it should be? Anyone have any advice? My 82 8-valve is entirely different.

You have one of the hardest bikes to remove the air box that Suzuki ever made.
    Old hard boots are not helping either.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Old hard boots are not helping either.
      Any more good news?

I need to source a stock exhaust too because I have a feeling it's going to run like **** until I do.

Comment

Why not just buy a stage 3 jet kit & have a bike that runs correctly & makes more power? I build & tune these & it's EASY to get them to run right. Ray.

Comment

The exhaust that is on the bike now looks like hell, its heavily covered in rust and I don't really feel like jetting the carbs. If I start modding it, I'll have a built turbo motor before I know it and that's not what I bought the bike for. Although, If I could find a turbo manifold under $1000, Id probably make a custom kit...

Comment

grease the boots with silicone spray.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              grease the boots with silicone spray.
              thanks for the advice. Its not that they are too tight to fit on though, its that the alignment is off. When I get the far left side on, the right side pops off. And I cant seem to align the middle ones because theres no damn room. Damn this air box.

Comment

Finally got that damned airbox on on there, what a terrible design. Anyway I took her down the road and she seemed to run good except for the slipping clutch. I'll have to pick up some clutch springs and that should take care of that. I think I might be running lean still too.

With a stock air box and 4-1, how many turns do you usually rotate the mix screws from seated?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                  ... seemed to run good except for the slipping clutch. I'll have to pick up some clutch springs and that should take care of that.
                  Just make sure you get stock springs, not "heavy-duty" ones.

Otherwise, your left arm will end up looking like Popeye's.

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                  With a stock air box and 4-1, how many turns do you usually rotate the mix screws from seated?
                  I would start with three full turns, then fine-tune from there.

You might find that they end up around 2 or 2 1/2, but it starts easily at 3, making for easier tuning.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I think the only one that was harder was the 450?

Yeah, the one that you actually had to remove the engine first.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X