Question on front sprocket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on front sprocket replacement

I replaced sprockets and chain on my '82 750E today.
    The new JT brand front did not have the flared center offset as the older (but beautiful very well heat-treated) Sunstar did.

It was late in the afternoon and I needed a solution. The local machine shop cut me a "shim" out of steel round stock after I had carefully measured my requirement.

I have included a picture showing one of the shims which was cut a little narrow. The one I used was just right.

My question: is this steel stock "shim" adequate to NOT fracture with torque applied to the nut? I.E., will this shim fracture over time? Should I have spent more time locating steel washers of accumulated proper thickness?

After I was done putting this all together and torquing the output shaft nut to about 100 lbs (good guess as my torque wrench was elsewhere and I was having a difficult time doing the balancing act to accomplish the task of holding the bike and applying pressure to the rear brake) I got to thinking about the potential for disaster.

This JT brand sprocket was supposed to be identical to oem.

And before you ask, I do like 630 RK SO chain. Have never had a complaint running this stuff on my GPz. Never needs tightening. I part with those of you who have to have lighter 530.

I also run RK 630SO chain.
    I too am very satisfied with it.
    20,000mile warranty, 11,100lb tensile strength.
    Much better than any lower priced 530 that I've seen.

As for the spacer issue, can't help you there as it's not something I've dealt with yet.

Tank

Comment

Working...
    X