Sprocket & Chain help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket & Chain help

I am going to be replacing my chain, front, and rear sprockets here soon.

Has anyone used this brand from Ebay?

They sell a complete kit - with chain, and sprockets.

It is an exact kit for my bike with o-ring chain and all.

I intend to keep stock gearing.

That's a good price. I'd find out what brand the chain is before ordering it though. I'd also see about getting a clip-type master link with it if you like those (I do, some don't).
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

If your stock chain and sprockets are 15/45 630, then to get near the same ratio you would want 18/54 530 sprockets.
      Also you would need more links in the 530 chain.

I would have the number but I don't know what the stock length is for your bike.

Here is a link that will help you figure this out.
      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Tank

Comment

Stock chain is 106 link 530 o-ring chain.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

My mistake, I thought all these bikes had 630.
          I like to learn something new everyday, this site makes that an easy thing to do!

Tank

Comment

Just CALL the guys over at Z1 and they will set you up with Hi-quality parts in the desired ratio that you want for less than the E-bay seller.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
              Just CALL the guys over at Z1 and they will set you up with Hi-quality parts in the desired ratio that you want for less than the E-bay seller.

Eric
              Thanks for the replies.

I am going to put a call into Z1 once I have the money available.

Comment

Not meaning to hi jack this thread, but I am doing the same thing. I got a 78 gs 1000 the I was converting the chain from 630 to 530. My brother tried to surprise me with parts but he ordered a 530 chain, 15 tooth front, and 42 tooth rear sprockets. I know this won't work and I've called z1 and they were GREAT with helping me figure out that I need a 17 tooth front, 49 tooth rear, and a 110 link chain. (Guy said it's better to get a longer chain and cut it the a shorter chain that might not be long enough). Right now I'm kinda taking his word for it cause he seemed to know a lot about it.
                The question is what do all these numbers mean? My brother says a 530 chain will fit a 530 sprocket but I've never seen such numbers on a sprocket. Only how many teeth they have. What does the number 530 mean? Does what the guy from z1 said make sense to you guys? Should I order this stuff? Is there a tutorial on how to change sprockets and chain? What should I know? Any tricks? Do I need any tool specifically specifically for this job? I'm going through the process of answering all these questions myself by looking at the Z1 site and searching the forums for any answers. I just don't want to make any noob mistakes. I haven't been able to ride at all this season cause of one problem or another. I'm pretty sure this is the last one that would stop me from riding. Sorry bout the babbling. Thanks for any info you got.

Comment

Z1 has done this many times for people, on your specific bike even. Take what they tell you to the bank. If they do mess it up, they will fix it for you.

The numbers 530, 630, 520, etc.... denote the size of the chain both in width and link length. The distance between the teeth on a sprocket and the width of the sprocket determine what chain it is suitable to be used on. Here's a nice little chart:

You generally do no see the chain size stamped on a sprocket, but if you try to put a 630 chain on 530 sprockets (or vice versa), it will become immediately apparent that something isn't right.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Z1 sent me up with my conversion as well. 18/49 and the chain was 120 links, best error on the side of being a bit too long. Got 3 master links, and the 6mm and 3-1.25mm spacers. For the price of one 630 chain.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I don't want to convert to a different size or ratio. Hopefully this will go smoothly

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger and got a nice set of sprockets and new RK x-ring chain from Z1 Enterprises.

I proceeded to take the clutch cover plate off, which came off fairly easily. I pulled out my 32mm socket to remove the front sprocket.

Well, it may just be me, but the 32mm nut loosened up way to easily. I did not even have to use a breaker bar. The nut was already loose. It appears the PO replaced the sockets and chain in the past, as the front sprocket actually did not look bad at all.

For the front sprocket assembly, there is a nut a sort of backer plate and then the sprocket. Is this correct? Should there be a cotter pin or any kind of other locking piece? It seemed WAY to easy to remove, as I said the nut was loose...

I still have to remove the chain and rear tire and sprocket. The master link clip on lock is being a PITA to get off as well...

Comment

Originally posted by GS650E_81 View Post
                          Should there be a cotter pin or any kind of other locking piece? It seemed WAY to easy to remove, as I said the nut was loose.
                          It has been MANY YEARS since I have had to do any chain maintenance (and I don't miss it a bit ), but I think there is supposed to be a flat washer under the nut that is folded up to hold the nut in place, once it is torqued into place.

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                          Not meaning to hi jack this thread, ...

The question is what do all these numbers mean? My brother says a 530 chain will fit a 530 sprocket but I've never seen such numbers on a sprocket.
                          Well, of course a 530 chain will fit on a 530 sprocket, that's what it's designed to do.

As mentioned, the numbers are the dimensions of the chain. The first number (5 or 6) is the number of "eighths of an inch) from pin to pin. The 530 chain is 5/8" from pin to pin, the 630 chain is 6/8" (3/4"). The last two numbers are the number of "eighths of an inch" between the plates. Both of these chains are 3/8" between the plates. For smaller things, like go-carts, you might see a 420 or 425 chain. They are 4/8" (1/2") from pin to pin and 2.0/8" (1/4") or 2.5/8" (5/16") between the plates.

Because the distance from pin to pin is less on a 530 compared to a 630, it will take more links to make the same overall length of chain.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The locking washer seems correct. Although I cannot get it to wrap around the nut. Looks like the PO messed it up bad with a screw driver to get it off previously.

Comment

In a perfect world you would have a new folding lock washer to use every time you took the nut off and put it back on. However, in all reality, so long as the washer isn't weak and flimsy to the point of breaking soon, you should be able to get 2-3 uses out of one lock. You only need to fold one side up to keep it from twisting off, so just fold a fresh side of it. Don't keep reusing the same side.

If it's gaffed up too badly, just get a new one. It sucks waiting on parts to ride, but you know what sucks even worse? Losing critical parts at highway speeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X