Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard to start after parked for longer periods of time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to start after parked for longer periods of time...

Hi, If I run my bike one day, it'll start just fine the next day, and maybe the next day after that too, but when it has been parked for many days, let's say 4-5 days or more than a week, it's really hard to start.
    I put on the choke, push the start button and it will just turn, I have to try and keep starting it for several minutes before it finally catches and fires...
    But when I first get it to fire it'll start first time around always! Untill I park it for many days...

So what is happening? Does the fuel evaporate from the carbs when parked for longer periods of time? It's like there is no fuel and the engine has to suck alot of air before it finally pulls in the fuel too...

Yes the fuel is evaporating...next round just throw it on prime for maybe 30 seconds and leave it there to start the bike. once it starts swing it back down to the on position.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Fuel does evaporate, but should not be that much of a problem in that short a time.

Have you done a full carb cleaning and properly set the mixture screws?

Have you adjusted the valves? Tight valves (usually the case) will cause hard starting when cold.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

But it isn't hard to start when cold(assuming it ran the day before), only when it's been parked for several days...
        I rode it last wednesday and then went on a trip for the weekend with some friends. I came home monday and yesterday (tuesday) I wanted to take the bike out for a ride and the bike was hard to start. It eventually fired up and I had a long ride. If I go out to start it now it'll fire up easily but say I let it stand for a week and then try and start it it'll be hard to start again...
        I have not done a full carb cleaning or adjusted mixture screws.... Valves where adjusted last fall before it was parked.

Comment

Have you tried using the PRIme setting on the petcock before starting the bike?

Move the lever to PRIme for about 30 seconds, then move it back to ON.
          Try to start the bike. If it starts easily, that is your 'problem'.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't hold open the throttle when cranking, it makes it hard to draw fuel in through the choke system. PRI is needed on my bike if it's been sitting for a few days, the gas leaves the carbs through the vent tubes.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I can let both my bikes sit for maybe a week or so before I have to use the PRI to fill the bowls.

I'm not saying that this isn't the problem with your bike, just throwing my 2 cents in there.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Have you tried using the PRIme setting on the petcock before starting the bike?

Move the lever to PRIme for about 30 seconds, then move it back to ON.
                Try to start the bike. If it starts easily, that is your 'problem'.

I haven't but I will try that next time... Maybe I should check the valves just to be sure. I have no way of knowing other than the mechanics word and we all know they can't be trusted all the time

@duaneage: I'm not holding the throttle open as long as I use the choke, since the user manual states specifically that you should NOT use the throttle during cranking with choke->ON.

Does the fuel really evaporate that fast? If I have understood correctly you guys are saying my carbs/fuel bowls are empty? (maybe)

Comment

Priming the carbs should take care of the problem, and yes, the fuel does evaporate out of the float bowls after a week or so.

Needless to say, the valves should be checked on a scheduled interval so please don't neglect this bit of critical maintenance.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Is the start up enrichment circuit completely clean on all the carbs? If not it may be starving cylinders for fuel.

Comment

I have no idea, as said I have not done anything with the carbs since the bike is running very good. Except for this minor thing here. Carb cleanup is on the winters to-do list....

Comment

I have a somewhat similar behavior on my '80 GS1000G. I have rebuilt the carbs, adjusted valves and rebuilt petcock with additional filter in line. When I hit the starter, it fires for a second with a roar, then nothing as you say, forcing me to crank and crank until it catches again. Same thing as far as starting same day or day later, but give it neglect for a week and it is "cranky." I will try the prime also. I do notice a gas smell in the garage after riding, but never see overflow. It runs strong and fine when up and going. If the bowls dry out of fuel, I guess I have a small amount in the jets protected to give that inital burst then dies.

Comment

Have you tried the to prime it for half a minute or so and see if starting performance is better?
                          Sadly I haven't driven the bike as much these last months since I've been away on vacation and stuff.
                          Also something I noticed after I got home from vacation was that once it fired it would only just run on full choke! cylinders 1 and 4 where not firing, but once warmed up the engine was fine. I think the plugs may have some carbon fouling.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Yes the fuel is evaporating...next round just throw it on prime for maybe 30 seconds and leave it there to start the bike. once it starts swing it back down to the on position.
                            This works very well for me also. Just don't forget to put it back to "On"
                            afterwards or you may overflow your carbs if you let it sit too long with the engine off.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                              Have you tried the to prime it for half a minute or so and see if starting performance is better?
                              Sadly I haven't driven the bike as much these last months since I've been away on vacation and stuff.
                              Also something I noticed after I got home from vacation was that once it fired it would only just run on full choke! cylinders 1 and 4 where not firing, but once warmed up the engine was fine. I think the plugs may have some carbon fouling.
                              SO.. if you tried to take off the choke the bike would die ?? If this is the case, your pilot jets have clogged up. Time to pull the carbs and do a proper dip and re-build with new o-rings and intake o-rings. Also, after you get that done, I'd give the carbs a good syncing.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X