Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bike pulls a little when i put the rear brake on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike pulls a little when i put the rear brake on.

my bike pulls a little bit when i apply the rear brakes. how do i fix this

Either you're missing spacers on the axle between the caliper hanger (inboard and or outboard) or your axle nut isn't tight enough.

Comment

will check that tomorrow, i kept thinking it was the alignment that you do when tightening the chain.

Comment

It can also be very loose swing arm bearings. Under power the chain pulls the swing arm to the left, under braking it doesn't. There should be no play side to side in the swing arm.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

definatly not the swing arm, doesnt do anything when i put load on the engine, only happenes when i am using the rear brakes and it doesnt do it when at a slow speed only does it when i use it at a normal moving speed. the only reason i noticed it is because i wanted to make sure the brakes were working right so at about 25 i gently applied the rear brake and it pulled a little bit

Comment

Wheel bearings ok? Any frame welds broken? Obviously, something is going out of line somewhere.

Comment

Wheel bearings are good and no broken welds. It's not a significant pull. It's barely noticeable. But I took the axle out and don't know how I did but I over looked the spacer that goes in-between the chain adjuster in the nut Side of the axle. Will be putting it backet together and see if that fixes

Comment

Had that happen to me. Ended up being that my axle nut was a bit loose, but I had also lost one of my chain adjusters. When I'd give it power the chain would pull everything straight, but when I'd apply the rear brake the wheel would cock sideways. It wouldn't do it at slower speeds either.

Comment

If all your bearings etc etc are fine, when the rear brake is applied somewhat hard it will torque to that side some anyways.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tc862011 View Post
                    Wheel bearings are good and no broken welds. It's not a significant pull. It's barely noticeable. But I took the axle out and don't know how I did but I over looked the spacer that goes in-between the chain adjuster in the nut Side of the axle. Will be putting it backet together and see if that fixes
                    What's probably happened there then is that without that spacer you basically run out of threads on the axle on which to tighten the nut. It bottoms out before it squishes everything on the axle together. When you hit the brake, the caliper is pulling the wheel over on the axle taking up that little bit of slop. It may only be an 1/8 inch but when your wheel moves out of line that much you certainly feel it.

Comment

If your Tires are worn flat, you will get odd handling.

Comment

Originally posted by tc862011 View Post
                        Wheel bearings are good and no broken welds. It's not a significant pull. It's barely noticeable.
                        But I took the axle out and don't know how I did but I over looked the spacer that goes in-between the chain adjuster in the nut Side of the axle.
                        Will be putting it backet together and see if that fixes
                        Pretty difficult to tighten against air space.
                        DANGEROUS until fixed BTW.

Eric

Comment

Since the invention of the digital camera and they have become so cheap now and with age being a problem lol. I have started taking pics of stuff I take apart to make sure they go back together and no extra parts laying there. Now what files did i put those pics under.....
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X