Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame question

Hey all,
    I haven't posted much in a while. I am finally getting around to resurrecting my '82 GS 750 and need a new frame. There is too much rust to use the frame as is, and it would probably be cheaper to buy a used titled frame than to cut and reweld in new sections. My question is this: what year motors can fit in what year frames? I can't seem to find any from my model year on ebay or locally, but there are other years that are close. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

it's rusted through?

Comment

The rear engine mounts are crunchy they have so much rust, and the left side one is crumbling apart. Motor is fine...no rust on it at all, engine internals are squeaky clean. But most of the frame is toast. The neck gussets are nasty too. There is surface rust on about 80% of the frame, and a few spots on the tubing that looks like the pitting might be eating into it. I just don't trust it.

Comment

The 80-81 are the same frame and from the looks of an 82 it should be the same as well, just different part number? Only real change on the 82 from the 80-81 is the front end and some cosmetic stuff from what I can see.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks mrbill. From what I have seen scouring the internet the early 80s frames looked the same to me as well. What about larger 4 cly models' frames? Now to find something with a title. I also made the mistake of buying a bike without one.

Comment

Well the 80-81 1100E frames are the same as the 80-81 GS750E frames except for two areas, the swing arm pivot bolt holes in the frame they are larger and where the foot peg brackets mount, just slightly different on the back mounting bolt. As for the 82 frames and later or any of the GS1000 frames no idea
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              Well the 80-81 1100E frames are the same as the 80-81 GS750E frames except for two areas, the swing arm pivot bolt holes in the frame they are larger and where the foot peg brackets mount, just slightly different on the back mounting bolt. As for the 82 frames and later or any of the GS1000 frames no idea
              And thirdly.... The bottom engine mounts are in a different place

... Do you have any ics of the damaged areas? Surface rust in nothing to worry over and I've never seen engine mounts that cannot be repaired.. Curious
              Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2012, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

that mount should be repairable imo.... maybe not by yourself but i see no reason that damage cannot be cut away and replaced. the rest looks like surface rust so.... i'd strip it down and start making seperate piles of what's what...

1. good and usable
                    2. usable but requires refurb
                    3. scrap

if piles 2 and 3 get too large then sell off 1 and 2 and buy something else..... imo of course.

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                      that mount should be repairable imo.... maybe not by yourself but i see no reason that damage cannot be cut away and replaced. the rest looks like surface rust so.... i'd strip it down and start making seperate piles of what's what...

1. good and usable
                      2. usable but requires refurb
                      3. scrap

if piles 2 and 3 get too large then sell off 1 and 2 and buy something else..... imo of course.
                      If I had the bike titled and registered I would do just that, but I bought it without papers, so I think it would just be cheaper in the long run to get a new frame. If I find out differently, then I will repair this frame.

Comment

Working...
                      X