Squeak from rear shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeak from rear shock

I went searching, but didn't find anything specific.

My right side rear shock has started squeaking a bit. Should I just lube it? What should I use? Oil? WD40? Liquid Wrench?

Found out if it's the shock itself (in which case has all the oil leaked out? or does a shot of oil on the shaft cure it) or is it the top/bottom bushes (more likely).

It could also be dry swingarm bearings or even the brake torque arm...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The swingarm was my first thought.

The noise started after I adjusted the chain. As soon as I took off it was squeaking. That sound right to you?

Is that something I can just spray lube on?

Sorry....I'm really new to all of this.

Comment

I'm curious as to your solution as I experienced the same thing this weekend. Took the rear wheel off to clean up the rear brake and splines, hooked up the shocks again, and squeaky, squeak. Definitely the right rear shock on mine, but check the brake torque arm, they can get plenty rusty and I lubricated mine before putting the shocks back on.

Dan, is fork oil or ATF suitable for the shock shaft?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
          The swingarm was my first thought.

The noise started after I adjusted the chain. As soon as I took off it was squeaking. That sound right to you?

Is that something I can just spray lube on?

Sorry....I'm really new to all of this.

Did you check the top/bottom shock bushings as salty_monk said? Swing arm is not my first thought either. The squeak can absolutely be from sand/dirt caught and lack of chain lube. I clean the hell out of mine with kerosene. After this drive it for a few miles to warm everything up, then come home and put some chain lube or wax all around. Just a good coating will do, no need to pile the stuff on.
          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
            Did you check the top/bottom shock bushings as salty_monk said? Swing arm is not my first thought either. The squeak can absolutely be from sand/dirt caught and lack of chain lube. I clean the hell out of mine with kerosene. After this drive it for a few miles to warm everything up, then come home and put some chain lube or wax all around. Just a good coating will do, no need to pile the stuff on.

It's definitely lubed up well. I do a good cleaning and lube every few hundred miles.

Like I said...no noise....tighten the slack in the chain....noise. I didn't really think of the swingarm at first, but that could be the issue.

I'll be digging into it a little more this coming weekend...but I hardly know where to start let alone what to do, so it may be a slow process.

Comment

Working...
            X