Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing the chain

so I need to put back my chain,,,,finally

but I have the clutch cover on, and I adjusted it already, and it works great

but if I remove it will it mess up my adjusted settings, or will I have to do it all over again...

I need to put the sprocket on, and the chain, and then the cover back on

any thoughts ?

I don't see how moving the clutch cover aside would change your clutch settings unless you mess with the cable. It didn't when I did that to get the cable out of the way of removing the carbs. Go for it.

Comment

Thankfully I don't have to worry about such stuff with any of my bikes, but if that's what it takes to put the chain on, ... suck up and do it.

Look at it another way. You now have the practice to do it again, and probably in less time.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Two awesome answers.....LOL

Thanks

either way,, I will have to remove it, I was just wondering if it will keep the clutch setting or will it go out of whack and will need to be adjusted again.....

I guess when I find the time to do this, I will know......

what I was looking for, was

no it wont affect the adjustment at all

or

yes, it will need to be adjusted once you put the cover back on...

I will find out soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          ... what I was looking for, was

no it wont affect the adjustment at all

or

yes, it will need to be adjusted once you put the cover back on...
          Sorry, but my "vast experience" does not happen to include much in the way of chain maintenance.

My son's first bike was a 450T that we got 12 years ago and sold after about 3 years.
          During that time, I only 'played' with the chain one time, and that was to remove it for an engine transplant.

Shaft-drive maintenance/replacement is no easier, just doesn't need to be done nearly as often.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

no problem...

I wil be enlightened once I take it apart, add the chain and front sprocket and put it all back together....

I will post my findings, maybe someone else might have a similar question one day...

Comment

Scratching bald head? I'm not sure I get your dilemma. Take off cover, put chain over sprockets, put cover back on, all done ( except for tensioning the chain).

Once the chain is hung and you have proper up/down play you'll want to make sure the sprockets are in alignment and the chain runs straight and true and not kinked off to one side. The easiest way to do this is with a laser pointer. Lay it on the chain as it sits on the rear sprocket and verify that the beam aligns with the teeth of the front sprocket and the beam itself should be in the center of the chain all the way along. If everything went on in the correct order front and back it should be smack on or at least "close enough for government work".

There isn't anything to bugger up really. When you take the cover off the clutch cable is still attached to the cam mechanism, leave it that way and just use a bit of coathanger wire to suspend the cover ( from the frame or something convenient) til you're done.

Things won't go out of wack unlesss you disconnect the cable from the cover.

Hope that's what you wanted to hear.

Cheers,
              spy
              Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Take the master out of the old one and hook the new one on one pin and use the old one to pull the new one thru..remove the old chain and set the new chain up.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Take the master out of the old one and hook the new one on one pin and use the old one to pull the new one thru..remove the old chain and set the new chain up.
                  Chuck why do it the easy way when you can risk putting the cover back on upside down?

Eric

Comment

I like easy things!!!!!
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

EDIT...I didnt notice the old chain is long gone...scratch the pull thru method on this one. It does work if the old chain is still on though.

Comment

I just want to send him a BIG box full of aluminum parts to polish for me.
                        I'll even install the chain for free!

Eric

Comment

Me too!
                          Good looking bike!
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This and some BLACK MAGIC rouge. I can do an entire bike in around 6 to 8 hrs. on average.

Polish and Restore Dull Parts to Show Quality with the Eastwood Dual Speed 1HP Buff Motor

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                              Scratching bald head? I'm not sure I get your dilemma. Take off cover, put chain over sprockets, put cover back on, all done ( except for tensioning the chain).

Things won't go out of wack unlesss you disconnect the cable from the cover.

Hope that's what you wanted to hear.

Cheers,
                              spy
                              yes, exactly, I just wasn't sure if it would be out of adjustment once I removed the cover, so I am good....

EDIT...I didnt notice the old chain is long gone...scratch the pull thru method on this one. It does work if the old chain is still on though.
                              yup no chain, and sprocket, both have to be put back...

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              I just want to send him a BIG box full of aluminum parts to polish for me.
                              I'll even install the chain for free!

Eric
                              now that sounds good,,,,,,not....LOL

but I can do the polishing for a small fee......

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Me too!
                              Good looking bike!

Thanks.....

Comment

Working...
                              X