How I will be spending my long 4th of July "weekend"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbytes View Post
    The manometer I linked to is about as simple as it can get. It only shows you the difference across two carbs, not the vacuum on all 4 at once, but that's all that matters. Sync the middle two to each other, then sync the outside ones to the middle ones. Sure, it takes longer, but if you set it up correctly, you can very accurately measure the difference between two carbs.

Things like the carb tunes don't show you the difference, they show you each individual vacuum. While that is interesting information, its not needed for a sync. A sync is just matching vacuums, not necessarily setting the vacuums to a certain pressure. Since I don't really need to know the exact pressure, just the difference, I can set up a very accurate pressure differential gauge and tune my carbs for $2. Maybe if I had 5 motorcycles and did syncs every week would I justify the $100 carbtune, but I don't. I don't mind spending a little time building something to do exactly the same thing as the carb tune for much less money.
    Sorry but I disagree. I knew my carbs were out of synch because I felt the vibrations above a certain RPM. Threw my carb tune on and guess what, the number 4 carb was so far off it wasn't even funny. I began the process of setting them properly by starting with number 2 and I could see the effects on number 4. Went to number 1 and saw changes across all four carbs. Finally did number 4 and guess what, got it right.

It's the interaction of all 4 that the proper manometer shows so when you are running down the road you have a smooth running bike.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      And, if you can actually build one that works and works WELL for $2, please share with us, we would all like to build one, too.

Hey, let's go extravagant, feel free to spend up to $10.

I will go a step farther. Build a manometer that works for a four-cylinder bike for $10 or less, document your build, show receipts and a video of it working, I will pay you every bit of that $10.

Show me video of a working four-cylinder manometer that you have built for $10 or less, and I will reimburse you for every penny you spent. And you get to keep your manometer.
      Challenge accepted. If I build one that doesn't work, then I'm only out a few dollars, and can go buy the $100 one later. If I do build one that works, then I have a super cheap manometer. So yeah, I'll build a working one.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      How hard did you look? Click HERE to see what I found with a brief search for "mikuni fuel screw".
      I saw that one too, but it only lists these bikes:
      Suzuki GS1000 GS850 GS750
      and these carbs:
      Mikuni VM24 VM26 VM28

I have a GS550L with VM22ss carbs. Plus, that screw doesn't even look like the OEM one. I'll call them in the morning. I keep forgetting to because I'm at work, and they close before I get off.

Comment

Challenge accepted.

I saw that one too, but it only lists these bikes:
        Suzuki GS1000 GS850 GS750
        and these carbs:
        Mikuni VM24 VM26 VM28

I have a GS550L with VM22ss carbs.
        I don't deal that much with the VM carbs, so don't know all the details, but I think that they use the same screw.

Someone that knows more about these carbs will have to verify that, though.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Same screw.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I was going through some old stuff today and came across this thread.

Since there was no resolution in the thread at the time, I thought I would let everybody know that even NOW, mid-February,
            5 1/2 months after the deadline, I have not seen any videos of any home-made manometers, working or not.

Yeah, there was a little bit of time spent on pounding the keyboard with the challenge, but so far, not a single dime has left my pocket in his direction.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X