Where to buy valve shims ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy valve shims ?

Where can I buy a valve shim kit in order to adjust the valves on a 87 GS450L ? Thanks to anyone willing to shine some light on my subject. I've looked all around on the web to no avail. Thank you

If you take an inventory of what shims you have and need, then you can order selective sizes from a place like Z1 Enterprises. Buying a kit is expensive and you will never use a huge majority of the pieces in the kit.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Or pay a lot less by going to the GS Services section of the site and working with the Shim Club
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        If you take an inventory of what shims you have and need, then you can order selective sizes from a place like Z1 Enterprises. Buying a kit is expensive and you will never use a huge majority of the pieces in the kit.
        I've owned several sport bikes in my life, most of them being GSXR and I know Honda shims work on most modern Gixxers. I've never owned a cruiser or a V Twin of any kind up until a month ago. Nor do I have any clue what works on a bike this old. Good point about the kit. So, Z1 is the answer. Thank you, Sir
        Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

E-mail sent.

Eric

Comment

I wouldn't depend on a dealership helping you out either.
            You can try a smaller local shop, they might sell shims.

Most large dealers will give you a dirty look, and some have no idea what a shim is!
            (A working brain is sort of optional, when you work in the Parts Department!)

I would measure all your valve clearances, figure out what you need, then order from Z1Enterprises....or you can join that groovy shim club, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
              I wouldn't depend on a dealership helping you out either.
              You can try a smaller local shop, they might sell shims.

Most large dealers will give you a dirty look, and some have no idea what a shim is!
              (A working brain is sort of optional, when you work in the Parts Department!)

I would measure all your valve clearances, figure out what you need, then order from Z1Enterprises....or you can join that groovy shim club, haha.
              Absolutely. I stay away from dealers and bike shops for that matter as much as possible. I called a dealer a month or so ago for a spanner wrench to adjust my sag on a zx10. I was transferred to a girl in the parts department. She had no clue as to what kind of tool I was referring to. She said they don't carry tools at a Honda dealership for a Kawasaki. Took a trip down there and found it immediately on the wall. Just one of a million reasons to stay away from dealers and most shops.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                E-mail sent.

Eric
                Thanks Eric. Hopefully, they will be available after I decide to tear it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by pearljam724 View Post
                  Absolutely. I stay away from dealers and bike shops for that matter as much as possible. I called a dealer a month or so ago for a spanner wrench to adjust my sag on a zx10. I was transferred to a girl in the parts department. She had no clue as to what kind of tool I was referring to. She said they don't carry tools at a Honda dealership for a Kawasaki. Took a trip down there and found it immediately on the wall. Just one of a million reasons to stay away from dealers and most shops.
                  I went to a suzuki shop for the valve tool everyone on Here recommends, and couldn't find it in the store.
                  I asked the clerk, he had No Idea what I was talking about!
                  He said "well you can just bring the bike in, and we can do the valves for you!"
                  I said "yeah right..." and walked out the door.

Comment

Working...
                  X