Shift rod/countershaft sprocket seal leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift rod/countershaft sprocket seal leak

Still trying to chase this down. Cleaned off of all the oil and have been trying to see what's leaking. I don't see anything wet yet, but I have only idled the bike right now as I'm waiting on a new sprocket/chain setup. Now I'm wondering if I should put the old stuff back on just to take it for a spin and see if the leak presents itself.

Should there be any play in the shift rod or the countershaft sprocket? When I grab them, I can move them perpendicular to the wheelbase very slightly - the shift rod maybe a 1/4 mm and the sprocket even less. It'd be damn-near imperceptible were it not for the subtle click of it hitting a stop back and forth.

On the shift rod, the washer behind the lock ring spins a bit. Not sure if that's supposed to happen.

In all, I used about 2L of oil in the 3000 miles across the country. Things were always slightly damp down there, but it never dripped once. Never even sprayed. My exhaust and swingarm and shock and frame were always clean.

When I had it apart in Chicago, I scooped a big lump of hard old oil out of there and it got worse after that. I'm headed to the store to get some powder spray so I can really see if anything gets damp.

I know I was throwing around a lot of oil after I switched chains because it wasn't an o-ring chain so I had to use oil rather than wax.

/Mike

Isn't there an oil seal around the shaft? If you're lucky you might be able to drill it, screw some self tappers in & pull it out with vice grips & then tap a new one in using a drift....

I think I read about someone doing that on one of the models on here somewhere.

2l of oil in 3k miles is a bit high but not ridiculous....

Make sure it's in one piece for Paso Robles!!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Isn't there an oil seal around the shaft? If you're lucky you might be able to drill it, screw some self tappers in & pull it out with vice grips & then tap a new one in using a drift....

I think I read about someone doing that on one of the models on here somewhere.

2l of oil in 3k miles is a bit high but not ridiculous....

Make sure it's in one piece for Paso Robles!!
      That's what I'm trying to do!

No, there's a retaining pin and a washer holding it in. No oil seal. I assumed I'd have to take those off to expose the oil seal.

I thought the same about the oil consumption. I've never noticed it needing that much, but I've also never ridden that much all at once. I'm hoping the excess oil loss is from this leak.

I haven't checked compression in a while (tester is still in NY) but it was great when I got it a few years back. Valves are always clean as a whistle when I adjust them and it never smokes.

Comment

So the question remains, should there be any play in the shift rod or sprocket?

Comment

Yes and Yes
          There is an o-ring that the sleeve behind the countersprocket slips into
          The shift seal is pretty easy to change but you do have to remove the clutch basket and sprocket cover. Take a pic of where the shifter goes on the clutch side.
          One overlooked leak is the starter o-ring.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Yes and Yes
            There is an o-ring that the sleeve behind the countersprocket slips into
            The shift seal is pretty easy to change but you do have to remove the clutch basket and sprocket cover. Take a pic of where the shifter goes on the clutch side.
            One overlooked leak is the starter o-ring.
            Remove the clutch basket? I thought it could all be done from the left side?

Starter o-ring would mean it'd be leaky up in the starter motor housing, right?

Comment

The shifter rod slips out the clutch side.
              I may be wrong about the clutch basket if there is room.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                The shifter rod slips out the clutch side.
                I may be wrong about the clutch basket if there is room.
                So that's probably not what's causing a leak on the left rear side of the engine, right?

Comment

Sprayed it down with the powder and turned it on. No leaks at all. Guess I'll need to push a bit more than idling.

Comment

Working...
                  X